DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Auto water shutoff in crawl space

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  jmon 
#1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a system that will automatically shutoff the main water supply line in case a leak is detected in a crawl space. I've had a crawl space flood from a broken connection and I don't want to have another one!

I've researched WaterCop and Floodstop... Any other suggestions or recomendations??

#6 ·
Auto shutoff

Yes I did have some auto shutoffs installed. I have a system called floodstop installed in the crawl space of a duplex. It's very similar to water cop but it uses multiple water sensors and attaches to the main water line. It works great. In fact just a few weeks ago the water was shutoff and I got a call from the tenant. Turns out there was not a pipe leaking, but the hvac exhaust vent was leaking melting snow and following the vent all the way to crawl space.

I also have the flologic system installed in two single family homes. I can't say enough good things about flologic, it works great. It's expensive, roughly $1500 depending on your install, but absolutely worth it. If its in home mode and water runs for 30 minutes, shuts it off and sounds alarm. Vacation mode only allows 30 seconds. Great product.

Greg

#8 ·
Yes I did have some auto shutoffs installed. I have a system called floodstop installed in the crawl space of a duplex. It's very similar to water cop but it uses multiple water sensors and attaches to the main water line. It works great. In fact just a few weeks ago the water was shutoff and I got a call from the tenant. Turns out there was not a pipe leaking, but the hvac exhaust vent was leaking melting snow and following the vent all the way to crawl space.

I also have the flologic system installed in two single family homes. I can't say enough good things about flologic, it works great. It's expensive, roughly $1500 depending on your install, but absolutely worth it. If its in home mode and water runs for 30 minutes, shuts it off and sounds alarm. Vacation mode only allows 30 seconds. Great product.

Greg

Thanks Greg. :thumbup:

#2 ·
WaterCop inquiry

Hello, did you ever end up installing a water shutoff system please?

I've been looking at the Watercop product for several years now and really like the idea, but when i asked the company for testimonials and just some basic test results i never heard back again.

And so just wondering if anyone out there has installed a water cutoff system or would like to make a recommendation, i'd really appreciate that!

BobK
Virginia

#4 ·
Thanks jmon, this is actually a better idea then having sensors everywhere ie if your not home, no water should be moving at all, so why even have sensors and if you're home you will eventually see the problem! so i like this approach alot better and will definitely look into this one further! thanks again jmon and have a great week! bk

#7 ·
Thanks very much Greg for sharing your experiences on this! and good to know i can also install sensors as well! and yes 1500 is definitely worth it when you think about the nightmare scenario of coming home and finding water flowing from an upper floor, my worst nightmare and when i found out that copper pipes can actually spring leaks right in the middle of a solid line and i don't mean a connection joint, that's when i started really getting worried! For example, in my last house, just by coincidence, i came home and noticed that one of my kitchen cabinets was all wet! and turns out that a pipe behind the wall literally sprung a leak in the middle of a solid pipe! and just recently in my current home, i pulled what defintely looks like a copper pipe used for A/C freon lines, but a piece was used to connect 2 clear plastic lines to the A/C moister drain and it literally had several what looked like bore holes in it and i still can't believe my eyes and am going to take this piece of pipe to my local plumber and see if its even possible that copper can develop visible holes like this and if so then i'm even more worried about "copper" pipes and fyi i did hear that back in the 70s some companies developed some new "experimental" copper hybrid formulas and alot of them are failing in the Virginia area, so yes i'm definitely going to plan for the worst from here on!
Thanks again Greg and all and i wiill share my findings and efforts on what i end up doing as well, have a great week Greg! BobK, Farifax Virginia

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.