Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #1

Share |

Attaching PEX pip to a galvanized pipe

I am replacing the water lines in my father in laws house and am trying to figure something out. I believe the main water line coming into the house from the meter is galvanized. Making this assumption because the house was built in the 70's (i think) and all of the rest of the lines in the house were galvanized. I haven't really be able to see the pipe very well because it is currently buried in pretty muddy ground. Will be digging it up later and trying to clean it off to verify.

It appears that part of the incoming pipe had broke off at some point and previous owners clamped a rubber hose between it and pipe for the rest of the house (wish I had taken a picture).

So finally to my question, assuming it is galvanized and I can't find a place where there are threads how can I attached my PEX pipe to it? I bought a Sharkbite connector but it only says Copper, PEX, and PVC so not sure if it would work. Or will I be able to find a rubber clamp to connect the two? Not sure if I will be able to leave the connection exposed so will need to be something that could be covered. Will try to leave exposed though.

Thanks for the help.

merlin66043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

You have a few options IF it turns out to be galvanized. First, you can replace the entire galvanized line, which may be the best option. Galvanized is well known for corrosion and tuberculation, which reduces water flow, leads to leaks, and is in general a royal pain.

If you elect not to replace the galvanized, you can thread the end of it using a pipe threading tool. This assumes you have decent access, which may require you to do some digging. You create a standard NPT threaded end, then use a commonly available thread to PEX adapter.

I would personally not feel comfortable using a clamp on (Fernco) type fitting, but I suppose that is an alternative, maybe one of the plumbers has had good luck doing that.

I have not seen a sharkbite specifically advertised for use with galvanized, they may be available through a plumbing supply store, probably not at a big box store.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin66043 View Post
I am replacing the water lines in my father in laws house and am trying to figure something out. I believe the main water line coming into the house from the meter is galvanized. Making this assumption because the house was built in the 70's (i think) and all of the rest of the lines in the house were galvanized. I haven't really be able to see the pipe very well because it is currently buried in pretty muddy ground. Will be digging it up later and trying to clean it off to verify.

It appears that part of the incoming pipe had broke off at some point and previous owners clamped a rubber hose between it and pipe for the rest of the house (wish I had taken a picture).

So finally to my question, assuming it is galvanized and I can't find a place where there are threads how can I attached my PEX pipe to it? I bought a Sharkbite connector but it only says Copper, PEX, and PVC so not sure if it would work. Or will I be able to find a rubber clamp to connect the two? Not sure if I will be able to leave the connection exposed so will need to be something that could be covered. Will try to leave exposed though.

Thanks for the help.
just guessing but if house was built in the 70s ..copper was the preferred pipe at that time....check it good...if it is galvanized you will need to thread a pex adapter to pipe if its good shape...ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote