As Asked Here Is How You Measure How Deep Water Well Is - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 552

as asked here is how you measure how deep water well is

have seen this done multiple times by an older guy and he has always been within a few feet of well depth

take a glass fill 3/4 way full, take a quarter tie a light weight kite string around quarter so knot is on edge of coin cut string about 16 inches long, lower glass a few inches from ground and lower quarter in to glass but not in water, then the quarter starts to swing back an forth counting each swing then quarter will stop for a few then start back up and that is when you have depth. some times quarter will hit inside of glass and that is fine the guy say that means you have a heavy vain "do not know if tat is water vain or dirt vain did not ask"

Advertisement

jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaydevries For This Useful Post:
Homerepairguy (03-28-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

WHAT?????????????

Advertisement

Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

This post made no sense whatsoever to me.

DM
Old 03-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

Sounds like a tester with shaky hands will always have a deep well.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

DM
Old 03-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 536

Makes as much since as some of the other post I've seen.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #7

i brought this up on a forum talking about using L rods to find water lines under ground

this is what i seen a guy do on multiple wells to find out how deep a well is or how deep it will be if trying to figure out how much it would cost to drill "with a price per foot"
i seen him one time tell the well driller how deep and the guy laughed at him and said all the wells in that neighbor hood where deeper than that when they where drilling they hit water where the guy told them it would be and it was great seeing the drillers try to figure out how this old guy was right
The Following User Says Thank You to jaydevries For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #8

ok so make fun of it till you try it i have seen it before with water drillers untill they have seen it done and it worked within 2 or 3 feet of where they hit water
Old 03-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydevries View Post
ok so make fun of it till you try it i have seen it before with water drillers untill they have seen it done and it worked within 2 or 3 feet of where they hit water
Yeah either that or they just drilled the neighbor's well, had some idea how deep the aquafer was and had a bet going on whether or not someone would believe the quarter trick.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 524

Quote:
have seen this done multiple times by an older guy and he has always been within a few feet of well depth

take a glass fill 3/4 way full,
What kind of glass; Plastic, Crystal, Glass? What size?

Quote:
take a quarter tie a light weight kite string around quarter so knot is on edge of coin cut string about 16 inches long, lower glass a few inches from ground and lower quarter in to glass but not in water,
when you say "lower glass a few inches from ground" do you mean raise it up off of the ground or are you starting to lower it from a pre-determined height? do you just hold it there with your hand or do you support it in some manner?

Quote:
then the quarter starts to swing back an forth counting each swing then quarter will stop for a few then start back up and that is when you have depth.
What causes the quarter to start to swing? How long do you allow it to swing? When do you know the test completed?

Quote:
some times quarter will hit inside of glass and that is fine the guy say that means you have a heavy vain "do not know if tat is water vain or dirt vain did not ask"
What is the determiner that tells you the depth? Is there a multiplier of some sort that you use? Just trying to figure this one out. I do a lot of scientific measurements in my day job and always have to be able to repeat tests so I need to qualify any test parameters with real numbers, procedures, Etc.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,172

True story. I was working on a very large, very expensive sewage treatment plant on Deer Islan (part of the Boston sewage treatment system). We had to locate some water lines which we suspected were not correctly shown on the plans. So we hired a water line location firm.

Here we are out there at 6AM, big crowd, lots of expensive suits from the Authority building the plant, engineers, surveyors etc. The water locating crew shows up with this really expensive looking truck, lots of dials, knobs, gages etc. They start the truck up, and begin adjusting the gages. This takes a really long time, and by 9AM everyone has gotten bored and left, except of course me and my surveyors, cause we have to map the lines when they get done. Around noon they finish adjusting the dials, and go to lunch.

When they get back, they shut the truck down, and the foreman of the crew gets out with a pair of dousing rods. Cheap metal sticks. He waves them around a while, and proceeds to "locate" the line. I asked him if this was some sort of joke, I mean he has this $500,000 truck and he is using DOUSING rods to find the critical water line. He assures me this is how he always does it. I can't believe it, but its his show, so we plot the line on the plan the way he locates it. Later on we do a drilling program, I figure we are sure to hit the damn thing, but no, he has it spot on.

I called him up afterwards and had a heart to heart, cause I really don't believe there is anything to this dousing nonsense. So I asked him how in the world he managed to find this water line using dousing sticks? And he told me. He said the sticks were totally bogus. It happens he had been the foreman on the job when the water line was put in, and he remembered exactly where he put it. So no need to guess. And that, I believe, is how dousing rods really work.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,204

This whole thread is nonsense. Who cares how deep their neighbor's well is anyway? My neighbor's is 275 feet, Mine, only a hundred or so feet from his, is 700 feet.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,130

Quote:

take a glass fill 3/4 way full, take a quarter tie a light weight kite string around quarter so knot is on edge of coin cut string about 16 inches long, lower glass a few inches from ground and lower quarter in to glass but not in water, then the quarter starts to swing back an forth counting each swing then quarter will stop for a few then start back up and that is when you have depth. some times quarter will hit inside of glass and that is fine the guy say that means you have a heavy vain "do not know if tat is water vain or dirt vain did not ask"
Are you trying to find the depth of water in the glass?

Last edited by hammerlane; 03-28-2012 at 10:21 AM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #14

no i have seen him do this on unregistered wells and also to help someone know how deep the well will be for pricing purpose in area were no one lives so they have a general idea on cost.
it was just a regular size household glass, he held it about 2 inches from ground, and it just started swinging by it self each time it was at the side of glass he counted and kept counting until quarter just stopped on it's own for a second or two the it just started swinging again and he would count it again to make sure he counted correctly until it stopped again for the second or 2

i did not believe it either till i seen him do it a few times in area's where there were no other wells around
Old 03-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
True story. I was working on a very large, very expensive sewage treatment plant on Deer Islan (part of the Boston sewage treatment system). We had to locate some water lines which we suspected were not correctly shown on the plans. So we hired a water line location firm.

Here we are out there at 6AM, big crowd, lots of expensive suits from the Authority building the plant, engineers, surveyors etc. The water locating crew shows up with this really expensive looking truck, lots of dials, knobs, gages etc. They start the truck up, and begin adjusting the gages. This takes a really long time, and by 9AM everyone has gotten bored and left, except of course me and my surveyors, cause we have to map the lines when they get done. Around noon they finish adjusting the dials, and go to lunch.

When they get back, they shut the truck down, and the foreman of the crew gets out with a pair of dousing rods. Cheap metal sticks. He waves them around a while, and proceeds to "locate" the line. I asked him if this was some sort of joke, I mean he has this $500,000 truck and he is using DOUSING rods to find the critical water line. He assures me this is how he always does it. I can't believe it, but its his show, so we plot the line on the plan the way he locates it. Later on we do a drilling program, I figure we are sure to hit the damn thing, but no, he has it spot on.

I called him up afterwards and had a heart to heart, cause I really don't believe there is anything to this dousing nonsense. So I asked him how in the world he managed to find this water line using dousing sticks? And he told me. He said the sticks were totally bogus. It happens he had been the foreman on the job when the water line was put in, and he remembered exactly where he put it. So no need to guess. And that, I believe, is how dousing rods really work.
This story is funny but I can tell you with 100% certainty that I can find a water line using "witching sticks" (thats what we call them around here). I'm a municipal engineer and responsible for capital project design and construction. Well often our records are so old that the information required is not on them. So I'll go out in the field and usually through proper reasoning I can decipher where existing water lines are. However, when it doubt I using the witching rods and they work pretty often. I always double check with a hydro-ex crew and I'm surprised how accurate they can be.

Here's another one, we were once pressurizing a new watermain and we were losing pounds which indicated a leakage somewhere in the main. Basically we narrowed it down to a section approx. 300m long between 2 valves. We let it go overnight to see if it would surface. No luck. Next day the public works foreman comes around, takes out an old Doctors Stethoscope and starts listening to the ground. Sure and **** the guy found it within 5 mins. Saved the contractor a ton.

Advertisement

psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote