Asbestos On Copper Pipes? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Asbestos on copper pipes?

this past weekend I started demo-ing my basement (new older home we recently purchased). the house was built in 1970 ... basement was finished at some point - I can only assume a while ago as the walls had 2 layers of drywall, wall paper, and floor to ceiling wood paneling before I got to the 2x4 studs - I did find an old penthouse magazine from 1973 behind one of the walls.

anyways ... on the ceiling was acoustic tile - which we removed very carefully with an asbestos rated mask & filter ... the joists on the main floor look great - no sign of mold or anything out of the ordinary - in fact, the joists seem to be in great condition (the entire basement is very dry - I'm sure the entire neighborhood is on a sand bed).

the one peculiar thing I found was the following ... in the picture is a copper water pipe that extended slightly below the wood strapping. on the backside of the acoustic tile it was 'notched' about half way through so the copper pipe could sit in the tile and still be mounted without any bulge on the face side. <not sure if that's a good explanation, but can't think of any other way to describe it>.

in the end, once I peeled back the tile this is what I found. the pipe wasn't wrapped in anything, just sitting within the ceiling tile. at first I thought it was spray painted white - looks like there's a bunch of white spray paint on the joist - but then I noticed the flaking ... and started wondering ... and worrying.

any thoughts? opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Asbestos on copper pipes?-p1040859-w768.jpg   Asbestos on copper pipes?-p1040856-w768.jpg   Asbestos on copper pipes?-p1040857-w768.jpg   Asbestos on copper pipes?-p1040858-w768.jpg   Asbestos on copper pipes?-p1040860-w768.jpg  

Advertisement

njchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd think it's just paint

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

i agree with the paint theory. This was probaby done before the basement was "finished' and the owner thought it looked better than bare piping. Doubt the pipes were cleaned and wiped down before painting and that why it peeled. At the fitting joints, there was probably melted flux remaining that interfered with adhesion.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

I would bet that the pipe sweated at some point and stained the tile. The HO sprayed it with a tile paint to block the stain and caused some of the tile fibers to stick to the pipe. Some of that old acoustical tile contained asbestos, but not very commonly.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

thanks for the info ... I think to be safe, I'll just cut out this section and resolder it - I have some extra pipe and fittings laying around ... plus, who doesn't love the smell of flux in the morning?!?!
njchan is offline   Reply With Quote