Argh, Double Sink Drains Backing Up - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Argh, double sink drains backing up

disposal on right side, sink drain on left. attached picture is the best i could do with a camera phone. does that plumbing set up look okay? i tried snaking it myself and about 25 feet later it still backs up. i snaked it by taking off that j bend that attaches directly to the drain thing, so i dunno..... now i'm thinking that maybe the way the sink drains / plumbing is routed might be the problem?

i'm trying to avoid having to pay someone to look at it, but if thats the case i suppose that's cool too. thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Argh, double sink drains backing up-022809083339.jpg  

Advertisement

Skeletor916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

if you're sure you cleaned out all the white pvc and snaked down the "J" as best as you could, you might try a can of pressurized air to blast it from the J, or some drain cleaner, or a longer snake.... is this septic or city sewer?

DM

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #3

i'm sure it's not the pvc as i disassembled all of it and put it back together in an attempt to find a clog. pressurized air? like from a can or what?

i don't have anything that could do that...

what kind of drain cleaner? i just read something about how liquid plumber and its homies are rather useless so what would you suggest?

i dunno about a longer snake, because it was hard getting nearly 25 feet of snake in the drain and it didnt really feel like it did much. every few feet or so it would start being difficult to shove more snake in there, but there wasnt a really breakthrough moment in that 25 feet.

i would assume city sewer since they're charging me for it.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
the Musigician

from a can, yes.
have you tried a foaming drain cleaner?
how far away is the street/sewer from your home? you may have been pushing the clog along, but it has not reached the sewer?
perhaps a longer snake. we'll get it, don't worry. Po)

DM
Old 02-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #5

foaming drain cleaner... like liquid plumber or is there something better? should i disconnect the whole setup after the j-trap and do it from there?

is there compressed air made for this purpose?

i have no idea how to tell how far away the sewer thing is. my house in on a square-ish plot that is about a quarter of an acre and the drain is about smack dab in the middle of that setup, with a street on one side and houses on the other 3.

in order of attempt should it be foaming cleaner, compressed air, a longer snake? is there a better kind of snake than the one i got? it has a little corkscrew looking thing at the end and since it is a rather small snake i can't imagine it cleaning out a 1 1/2" (small, i know ) drain very effectively.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
the Musigician

yes, there is compressed air in a can with a rubber gasket specifically for 'blasting' pipes, however, if the pipes are too old and thin walled, they can burst. i wouldn't worry TOO much about newer pvc. foaming may not be able to reach the clog if you've already pushed it way down and there's still water behind it. renting a 75' or 100' snake is last resort, though that's no guarantee either.

DM
Old 02-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #7

Don't use a drain cleaner on a kitchen skink clog. It won't work and it's hazardous. That hand crank drain snake won't work either. That is for tub drains and bathroom sinks and that's all. You are going to have to rent an electric snake designed for one and a half to two inch drains or call a professional.
Plumber44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:37 AM   #8
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber44 View Post
Don't use a drain cleaner on a kitchen skink clog. It won't work and it's hazardous.
yes, the blue-tongued skinks are easily upset if you put drain cleaner on them and may attack. especially if they just had babies in your drain!
ok, joke's over, seriously... why would you say it's hazardous to use drain cleaner on a drain? isn't that what it's made for? please elucidate...

DM
Old 03-01-2009, 08:37 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

with drain cleaners, either you like them or you don't. Sometimes they spit and sputter, and the gas they release can burn your eyes. Unless you pour large quanities in, they are going to sit in the trap, in this case OP has taken the pipe apart and didn't find the clog. I'd take a look where the pipe enters the wall, to look for the clog, otherwise, I'd look from the floor below. Ideally, if the kitchen is on the first floor, you can find where that pipe goes into the main sewer pipe in the basement. As for forced air, in this case, it might just go up the vent pipe. I'd try the plunger many times before conceding to the drain cleaners.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #10
the Musigician

good point about looking below.... *d-oh!*
i shoulda thunka that..... not EVERYone has to deal with a crawl space... heh

DM
Attached Images

Advertisement