Apollo Pex Fittings? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #16
Member
 
Homerepairguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 828
Rewards Points: 594
Default

Apollo Pex Fittings?


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
i'm pretty sure all of the heads rotate. the rotation has nothing to do with the tool, the head screws on separately, and the pieces inside the head are held together with a spring. last house i did in uponor i borrowed the electric tool, and used the heads that came with the manual tool. btw... i totally recommend the electric tool. its cordless, much easier to get into tight spaces, and does it so much quicker
That is really good news about all heads being able to rotate. You are a lucky man being able to use an electric tool. It just costs so many $$$$$$....

Thanks,
HRG

Advertisement

Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 601
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Apollo Pex Fittings?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
That is really good news about all heads being able to rotate. You are a lucky man being able to use an electric tool. It just costs so many $$$$$$....

Thanks,
HRG
yea, i'm a plumber. so i'm rich as hell wait i said borrow right?
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 51
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Apollo Pex Fittings?


I sold my hand expansion tool a month ago for less than $100 complete with fittings and rings, 1/2" thru 1" wish I knew you then HRG.
Ltnicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 44
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Apollo Pex Fittings?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
I envisioned removing pex tubing on a leaking manifold fitting where redoing all of the other manifold fittings would be a lot of work. Even on a "T" fitting, I wondered if one joint was leaking, if it might be possible to remove and redo just the one leaking joint rather than have to cut and redo all 3 joints. The cost of replacing a fitting did not enter into the equation at all for me.
You can do it, i've done it many times. It comes in really handy if your doing a 6 port manifold. As a rule of thumb when doing big pipes and multi size manifolds. Do the largest pipes first. They are the hardest to expand and if it's the first or second joint you'll get more play room to put your tool up and more leverage to pull the pipe together with the fitting.

I was a Wirsboro trainer for about a year and 1/4 is a little bit too consistant. The idea is that you want to stagger the cracks and the teeth marks. if you do about 1/8 turn each rotate going each direction you get a more random staggering of cracks. This is ideal. But if it works for you and you get no leaks then more power to you. One good tip I can give too is to make sure your rings are warm (if your in a cold climate..ie less than 50F) I used to keep like 30 in my pockets to use my body heat to keep them warm. On a hot day you have less time to pull your pipe together so once you do your last expansion do it one more time and hold it for about 5 seconds. Then quickly push the fitting together. Good luck with installation. Don't make spaghetti out of your pipe, take your time and strap it often.
immeraufdemhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #20
Member
 
Homerepairguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 828
Rewards Points: 594
Default

Apollo Pex Fittings?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltnicks View Post
I sold my hand expansion tool a month ago for less than $100 complete with fittings and rings, 1/2" thru 1" wish I knew you then HRG.
Darn, I missed the boat again! I would have given you $200 for it and we both would have been happy. --- Cup half full... the other guy is happy.
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:01 AM   #21
Member
 
Homerepairguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 828
Rewards Points: 594
Default

Apollo Pex Fittings?


Quote:
Originally Posted by immeraufdemhund View Post
You can do it, i've done it many times. It comes in really handy if your doing a 6 port manifold. As a rule of thumb when doing big pipes and multi size manifolds. Do the largest pipes first. They are the hardest to expand and if it's the first or second joint you'll get more play room to put your tool up and more leverage to pull the pipe together with the fitting.

I was a Wirsboro trainer for about a year and 1/4 is a little bit too consistant. The idea is that you want to stagger the cracks and the teeth marks. if you do about 1/8 turn each rotate going each direction you get a more random staggering of cracks. This is ideal. But if it works for you and you get no leaks then more power to you. One good tip I can give too is to make sure your rings are warm (if your in a cold climate..ie less than 50F) I used to keep like 30 in my pockets to use my body heat to keep them warm. On a hot day you have less time to pull your pipe together so once you do your last expansion do it one more time and hold it for about 5 seconds. Then quickly push the fitting together. Good luck with installation. Don't make spaghetti out of your pipe, take your time and strap it often.
A Wirsbo trainer... wish you lived next door to me. I got beer in the fridge. Thanks for your input on how to rotate the expansion head and other good stuff.

I'm running 3/4" trunk lines hanging from the rafters so my hangers will mostly be spaced 2 feet apart. I plan to let the tubing sag between hangers to allow for movement of the pex tubing. Do you recommend putting expansion loops (like a roller coaster loop) near both ends of each line?

Thanks,
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 44
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Apollo Pex Fittings?


yum, beer!

I would not recommend letting your pipe sag. Your only going to want to put expansion loops if you have a long vertical run that goes to horizontal with a 90. If you put sags in your pipe on a horizontal run they will hammer and possibly make some noise. We've run 900' of 1" for a hotel through the main floor and any place it had a sag it would hit against the rafter. He ended up having to cut a bunch of sections out to make it tight at straight. Then when we went from vertical to horizontal we would not use a 90 (as much as we wanted to so it would look like copper) I would how ever recommend putting 2 eagle talons on each joist facing opposite directions. Not that it's required, but it loos nicer and helped us to keep a much straighter, tighter run.

Good luck with it.
immeraufdemhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #23
Member
 
Homerepairguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 828
Rewards Points: 594
Default

Apollo Pex Fittings?


Quote:
Originally Posted by immeraufdemhund View Post
yum, beer!
I would not recommend letting your pipe sag. Your only going to want to put expansion loops if you have a long vertical run that goes to horizontal with a 90. If you put sags in your pipe on a horizontal run they will hammer and possibly make some noise. We've run 900' of 1" for a hotel through the main floor and any place it had a sag it would hit against the rafter. He ended up having to cut a bunch of sections out to make it tight at straight. Then when we went from vertical to horizontal we would not use a 90 (as much as we wanted to so it would look like copper) I would how ever recommend putting 2 eagle talons on each joist facing opposite directions. Not that it's required, but it loos nicer and helped us to keep a much straighter, tighter run.
Good luck with it.
Thanks for the additional advice. Googled images for "pex eagle talon" and a whole bunch of car photos were found, but no pex hangers.
I bought hangers that look like this:



Plan is to screw one on the bottom of each rafter. Think they will work as well as the eagle talons?

Thanks,
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 44
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Apollo Pex Fittings?


those look like a better deal than eagle talons. but if your interested here is a link to what I was talking about

http://www.pexsupply.com/Sioux-Chief...-100-2206000-p


Also a good idea to have a bunch of these


http://www.pexsupply.com/Wirsbo-Upon...port-2128000-p

You don't have to purchase from this company, i just did a quick search on google to find pictures and links. I normally buy everything from Fergusson. Those look like good prices though.

Last edited by immeraufdemhund; 11-18-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: adding another picture
immeraufdemhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #25
Member
 
Homerepairguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 828
Rewards Points: 594
Default

Apollo Pex Fittings?


Quote:
Originally Posted by immeraufdemhund View Post
those look like a better deal than eagle talons. but if your interested here is a link to what I was talking about

http://www.pexsupply.com/Sioux-Chief...-100-2206000-p


Also a good idea to have a bunch of these


http://www.pexsupply.com/Wirsbo-Upon...port-2128000-p

You don't have to purchase from this company, i just did a quick search on google to find pictures and links. I normally buy everything from Fergusson. Those look like good prices though.
Wow, I bought a bag of that exact talon hanger just in case I needed any. And I also bought some of those 90 degree plastic bend supports for tight bends. Looks like I'm good to go on our pex installation. I did order everything from pexsupply and am receiving very good service.

Thanks much for taking the time to post the pictures and keying your replies!
HRG

Advertisement

Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New House + PEX + Plastic Fittings = ? GaryZ Plumbing 22 01-06-2011 09:47 AM
remove compound from brass fittings to unscrew fittings purpleheart Plumbing 3 05-08-2010 07:49 AM
Barbed fittings into 1-1/2 inch Black Poly MI-Roger Plumbing 3 04-16-2010 07:44 AM
Sharkbite brand PEX fittings at Home Depot rjniles Plumbing 1 03-16-2010 08:33 PM
iron pipe fittings farrington135 Plumbing 1 07-13-2007 09:16 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts