DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   apartment washer on 4th floor (

jtrimble 06-26-2010 01:12 PM

apartment washer on 4th floor
I bought washer and dryer for 4th floor apartment and was told I need a special hose for water pressure. Was told it requires a plumber. On fixed income and am wondering what exactly is needed and whether family can do the work?

Alan 06-26-2010 03:30 PM

You don't need a plumber for this.

You DO need high pressure hoses, as they will always be pressurized when the washing machine is off.

These are standard hoses, and they should come with your new washing machine. If for some reason it didn't come with them, go back to where you got the washer and ask for some. :huh:

AllanJ 06-26-2010 07:46 PM

If there are no spigots to attach the washing machine hoses to, building codes will probably require that you get a plumber to install some. (For multifamily buildings)

You can hook up just the cold washing machine hose to a non-adjustable sink spigot with screw on aerator by using an adapter in place of the aerator. Cap off the hot inlet for the machine. Leave the machine on the cold setting. Adjust the water temperature using the sink faucets, optionally you can set separate temperatures for wash and rinse manually by coming back at the right time in the cycle.

A swinging faucet spigot may leak at the pivot if you connect it to a washing machine this way.

Turn off the washing machine water when the machine is not in use regardlessof what kind of hookup you have.

COLDIRON 06-27-2010 06:07 AM

Maybe they were talking about the automatic shut off if a hose breaks.

You can buy them at any big box stores they have a valve in them if the hose breaks it shuts down the water so you don't flood out the house in this case the 3 floors under you.

oh'mike 06-27-2010 09:22 AM

Most towns in my area require a floor drain ---some require a drained pan under the machine.

Make sure your renters insurance covers a washer---Mike--

Mike Swearingen 06-27-2010 09:47 AM

Use stainless steel flex washing machine hoses, and either a pan with a drain through the wall or a floor drain or the auto shut-off device. One of the three will help prevent flooding the floors below.
As already advised, also turn off both the hot and cold spigots when not in use.

COLDIRON 06-27-2010 01:57 PM

Not to discourage you from using a pan but from what I have seen when a hose breaks the pan is kind of useless as water goes all over the place. It might help depends upon the leak.

Mike Swearingen 06-28-2010 02:26 AM

I think that most local codes call for a floor drain above the first floor.
Need to check with local Building Inspection office. You probably need a permit and inspections for whatever you do anyway.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1