Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
Still going...

Share |

Anyone using Ridgid Propress & press fittings? -For Copper NOT PEX-

When I was in picking up some black pipe, I picked up a brochure on the Ridgid Propress and the Viega fittings. Anybody using them? Any issues with leaks? I saw a video online and it said you needed to use a chamfer? What is that and is it really required? There was also a depth gauge to mark pipe to make sure its seated all the way? Is either step even necessary? I found another video on You Tube where neither was used. I am redoing the hall bath and I need to re-do the copper plumbing under the tub in a confined space and using a torch will be tricky.

Any recommendations on buying fittings on line? These units are astronomical so I will be renting a unit. It looks like I should be able to run all the lines for tankless heater and hydronic air-handler in a day vs. a week. Is it too good to be true? I am not using any PEX.

Master Bath, still going...
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Water Treatment

A friend/customer who is a plumbing contractor on large scale, ie does work up on the North Slope of Alaska uses that up there and around here on jobs.. I remember asking him about it, he said it was great, do it the right way and no problems don't do it the right way and there could be problems.. often he will do an air pressure test to find if there are any leaks ,, if some thing shows up, hit it again with the press and pass the air pressure test .. then water.

Like any thing out there ,, done right it is great, don't do it right and there will be problems..

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Still going...

I guess since I am working with an active system If I have a leak I can just hit it with press again. Can't do that with a torch & solder!

Master Bath, still going...
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote