Anyone Try Prolock Fittings? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RRH

Old 12-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,294

anyone try prolock fittings?

I am getting ready to do a plumbing project to run a new hose bib to a side of the house lacking one. House is copper... Lots of ways to make the tap connection these days from soldering copper, Sharkbite fittings, etc. that then can make the extension copper or CPVC. Plus I just came across an ad for JG Prolock fittings that look interesting but not sure they are available here in the US yet. Anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.jgprolock.com/en

Advertisement

Old 12-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
RRH

Rewards Points: 354

Re: anyone try prolock fittings?

Why reinvent the wheel. A water leak is not worth trying something new.

A sillcock is there a long time so use a good one like the Prier brand. Cost a just a little more but you can clearly feel and see the difference.

Solder fitting to copper then go to pex in your case.
Next best sharkbite to Pex.
Bondo likes this.

Advertisement

RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 46

Never heard of it, but cool...

Looks like it's a cross between sharkbite and a compression fitting... Another copyright to hold and charge for.

Looks interesting though. Probably harder to accidently disconnect one under pressure then sharkbite.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #4

I went with RRH's suggestion to use Sharkbite and PEX. Very easy project except for making the cuts in the existing copper with not much room to work. I added a shutoff valve before the lines branch off and I finished up the bib end with a 90 degree copper section to make the bib super solid and can be removed and replaced if necessary. But I used a quarter turn ball valve so it should be good to go.

Tap into the line to existing hose bib:

90 degree copper termination:

New valve:
Old 12-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 1,674

No frost proof sillcock? Plan on draining that line every winter?
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:08 PM   #6

This is coastal Florida with house on stilts. The entire area underneath is unconditioned space but does retain a little warmth. When the temps go below freezing every other year or so they drip the lines. If they are in for a good long cold spell, which does happen, they can shut the isolation valve and drain the lines. That was another reason I added that although the house has been here for 25 years without one and never had frozen pipes. Did get damaged or wiped out in hurricanes once or twice, though.

Last edited by raylo32; 12-27-2016 at 01:16 PM.
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo32 View Post
This is coastal Florida with house on stilts. The entire area underneath is unconditioned space but does retain a little warmth. When the temps go below freezing every other year or so they drip the lines. If they are in for a good long cold spell, which does happen, they can shut the isolation valve and drain the lines. That was another reason I added that although the house has been here for 25 years without one and never had frozen pipes. Did get damaged or wiped out in hurricanes once or twice, though.
It never fails to amaze me on how different codes and choices are simply because of the environment.

I do hope you're safe from those hurricanes for the long foreseeable future.

PS. Rodents like to chew on pex. I find squirrels are the worst. I dunno how that factors in for you, but up here, any crawl type space under houses need to be rodent resistant because of it.

Cheers!
Old 12-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #8

It's not really a crawl space. The code here on the beach keeps you from building living space on the ground floor (but some folks still do) but otherwise it is really just a 10' high garage that is the entire footprint of the house. It has electric outlets, lights, etc. And the siding on the ground floor walls are what we call "blow out walls". They are designed to fail in a storm surge to limit the force on the structure. Then the surge just flows around the pilings and unless it is ungodly high does not reach the living space. One of my future projects may be to insulate and install a mini split for the garage because it gets so hot and humid in the warm seasons that it is impossible to work down there. That would be on my dime if it were ever damaged in a storm.

No squirrels here, thankfully, just a few tiny beach mice. But they are my nemeses back where I live in Maryland. They haven't gotten into my attic yet but they ravage my tomato plants... little ba$tards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supers05 View Post
It never fails to amaze me on how different codes and choices are simply because of the environment.

I do hope you're safe from those hurricanes for the long foreseeable future.

PS. Rodents like to chew on pex. I find squirrels are the worst. I dunno how that factors in for you, but up here, any crawl type space under houses need to be rodent resistant because of it.

Cheers!
Old 12-27-2016, 04:40 PM   #9

Quote:
... "blow out walls". They are designed to fail in a storm surge to limit the force on the structure. Then the surge just flows around the pilings and unless it is ungodly high does not reach the living space. ....
Wild! Stay safe!
Whenever you have questions about the future minisplit, we can answer them.

Cheers!
Old 12-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #10

It does get wild. Hurricane Ivan came through in 2004 and basically flushed everything out of the garage and blew in some new stuff, like someone's jet ski. Plus someone's Mustang convertible ended up in the front yard half buried in sand. The house was fine structurally, but the roof shingles got stripped and enough rain came in that the interior needed to be gutted and rebuilt. The waterline mark for the storm surge was about 6 feet or so above the garage floor. Been real quiet since, but is is only a matter of time before we get another one.

You can count on me checking in with you guys on the mini split when the time comes. I have already DIY'ed my furnace with a little help from Yuri and Beenthere. I have also replaced my leaking A-coil and worked on car A/C's for years. From what I have read the minisplits look easier than this stuff.... as long as you don't make a mistake like that fellow in the recent thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supers05 View Post
Wild! Stay safe!
Whenever you have questions about the future minisplit, we can answer them.

Cheers!

Last edited by raylo32; 12-27-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:00 PM   #11

Quote:
It .... as long as you don't make a mistake like that fellow in the recent thread.
Yup that was an whoops moment.

Cheers!
Old 12-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #12
RRH

Don't use a ball valve sillcock like that unless its is the frostproof type.

Just because one like you have will freeze and split a lot quicker than the old standard sill cock.

I would have used a Prier C-134 or even a cheap standard one from the box store.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #13
RRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRH View Post
Don't use a ball valve sillcock like that unless its is the frostproof type.

Just because one like you have will freeze and split a lot quicker than the old standard sill cock.

I would have used a Prier C-134 or even a cheap standard one from the box store.
Did not catch Florida, so should be fine.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:33 AM   #14

You guys might be interested in this. Here are some pictures from Pensacola Beach after Hurricane Ivan in 2004. I went down to help out and couldn't even get onto the island for a week or so after. Then they had to plow the roads and only opened it to foot or bicycle traffic. Some random photos but most are of the same blue house in this thread. Note the damage to HVAC.

The jet ski and Mustang convertible did not belong on the property. Plus look closely at one of the debris piles and see if you recognize the red bicycle. I still have that bike today and the crank and headset bearings still work fine after being under 8 feet of seawater.

Sorry for the Photobucket issues... slow and almost intolerable spam ads. I need to switch to another photo host.

http://s455.photobucket.com/user/ray...rricane%20Ivan

Advertisement

Last edited by raylo32; 01-11-2017 at 05:57 AM.