Anyone Heard Of This Type Of Valve? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Anyone heard of this type of valve?

Here's the short version of the storey, My home is on a well, I want to put in a system to reduce the mass amount of sodium coming in from it, so i've decided to go the route of reverse osmosis. Learning that a whole house RO is quite wasteful/hard on things such as copper yada yada i decided that i would consider just mixing it with my current well water (is this a good idea?) to dilute the amount of TDS/sodium in it.

My question is this, with my well water and RO producing into a holding tank, how do i ensure i get a consistent mixture? ie 50/50, or whatever the right amount ends up being? i've considered something like a shower mix valve, but the flow rates from the RO are slow compared to the well water coming in. maybe i need a small tank for pure RO with a booster pump before the mix valve?

Just looking for some suggestions on how to accomplish a consistent mixture, that I can set and forget. I'd like it to be operated on a float in the holding tank so that it tops it up automatically. Thank You all so much for your help.

Advertisement

bcomstock15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,386

Just a suggestion; your local lincensed well professional could give u some ideas on what to do. Stay tuned, maybe some pro's here can help u. Here's a link u can read while waiting for the pro's to come back on.

link here

Advertisement

jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 638

Never thought of doing something like that. When my wife takes me to these parties she always tells me not to pooh in the punch bowl. Not sure if she is talking about something like mixing your waters. First off, who tested your water. Secondly, what is it you do not like about your water, smell, taste, color. Take ro out of the equation. I series of carbon filters maybe. See what a local pro tells you!
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,222

Forgive me, but your idea seems a bit crazy. Why not just install a regular water softener? And what makes you think RO systems are hard on things? Well, they might be on your wallet, but that's all.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 638

I will not deny most of what I say sounds crazy to people. Okay, I have read many of your posts i will tell you somethings not yet released to the public. Ro systems will cost pennies on the dollar in five years. Many houses will have whole house ro systems installed in there houses. No water waste. Very very long filter lives. You see, this technology is coming from the frackling industry. Fracking is killing the environment at present. It was easier to figure how to clean up the operation as opposed to covering it up. You could call me crazy but with this info I gave you you could jump ahead in a very profitable upcoming business. Good luck. As I re read my post I realized a sediment filter and carbon filter did sound a bit crazy.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
I will not deny most of what I say sounds crazy to people. Okay, I have read many of your posts i will tell you somethings not yet released to the public. Ro systems will cost pennies on the dollar in five years. Many houses will have whole house ro systems installed in there houses. No water waste. Very very long filter lives. You see, this technology is coming from the frackling industry. Fracking is killing the environment at present. It was easier to figure how to clean up the operation as opposed to covering it up. You could call me crazy but with this info I gave you you could jump ahead in a very profitable upcoming business. Good luck. As I re read my post I realized a sediment filter and carbon filter did sound a bit crazy.
As someone who works in membrane filtration for industrial water treatment:
1) Ro systems will cost pennies on the dollar in five years. - Nope.
2) No water waste. - At the very most, for every 10 gallons you pay for, maybe 8-8.5 gallons are treated by RO.
3) Very very long filter lives. - Subjective, depends on water quality. - If the water tastes off, then I would estimate 1-2 years before you need to change the modules.
4) You see, this technology is coming from the frackling industry. - Nope, frac water flow and TDS conc. are too high to economically implement RO.

You should get your water tested by a local lab for pH, TDS, hardness, and alkalinity. The results may run you around $100, and they will need about 1 gallon.

Otherwise I would do like the poster above reccomends, and install an under sink softener if you're keen on drinking tap.

Last edited by toluene_hawk; 03-25-2013 at 04:08 PM.
toluene_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #7

I found that the healthier option was to go with carbon - too much stuff out there on the R.O that makes it look unattractive - apparently removes some of the goodness from the water

Advertisement

plumbthat is offline   Reply With Quote