Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #1

Share |

Anyone have an electronic water heater timer?

Anyone have an "electronic" water heater timer that has been working for a few years and is reliable?

I'm tired of fiddling with the on/off clips on our current mechanical water heater timer. Sometimes when I want to change the on clip, the timer happens to be at about the on time I want and the mechanism interferes with putting the clip on. Also, it's a pain to have to go out to the carport storage where the water heater is located to manually turn the timer on or off using the on/off lever.

So I'm looking for an electronically controlled water heater timer. Ideally it would have a remote button that can be installed inside of our house to allow me to manually override the timer without having to go out to the carport. But an electronic timer without a remote button would be OK as long as it's reliable.

Thanks,
HRG

Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

I just relocated my water heater from the house to the garage. It used to have a timer and now it doesn't.

The energy usage is minimal if even noticeable, and it could even be due to the temperature of the room as opposed to the timer.

My $.02 is that you're spending as much energy when the timer kicks on to heat a cool tank, as you would keeping a tank hot all day long.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I just relocated my water heater from the house to the garage. It used to have a timer and now it doesn't.

The energy usage is minimal if even noticeable, and it could even be due to the temperature of the room as opposed to the timer.

My $.02 is that you're spending as much energy when the timer kicks on to heat a cool tank, as you would keeping a tank hot all day long.
That's interesting. Do you have a thermal blanket around your water heater?

We have a solar water heater with two solar water panels on the roof. Not sure if that will make a difference or not. I'll try an experiment and remove the OFF clips to leave our mechanical timer running 24x7 to see what effect it has on our electric bill.

Thanks,
HRG
Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #4

OK, just removed the two "Off" clips from our mechanical timer. Will probably take 3 months of testing to get an average KW usage.

Felt the sides of the water heater and the insulation must be pretty good since it felt cool to the touch at both the top and bottom of the heater. So I won't be installing a thermal blanket around the heater.

HRG
Old 04-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #5

I have a cabin, total electric, that we currently use 2 or 3 weekends a month...this may be a good idea for that
gcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Experienced

Heres a post from a while back that may shed some light on your subject.

Turning off electric water heater when not in use?

Mark
Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcan View Post
I have a cabin, total electric, that we currently use 2 or 3 weekends a month...this may be a good idea for that
Not sure how your post applies to our situation.

Thanks,
HRG
Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Heres a post from a while back that may shed some light on your subject.

Turning off electric water heater when not in use?

Mark
Threaded display mode shows you responded to gcan.
Thanks,
HRG
Old 04-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #9

the title to this string was "anyone have an electronic water heater timer" and you, homerepairguy, asked if anybody had a timer that was realiable......my response was only meant to reflect that I wasn't aware of such a product, found the subject interesting, and was following the thread...sorry to butt in...but thank you for the link and info
gcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
Experienced

Now I am confused, I responded to show what little savings there is to shutting down a HW heater, so I posted a link to an old thread I was involved with months ago, just thought that it would clear things up a bit.

Mark
Old 04-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcan View Post
the title to this string was "anyone have an electronic water heater timer" and you, homerepairguy, asked if anybody had a timer that was realiable......my response was only meant to reflect that I wasn't aware of such a product, found the subject interesting, and was following the thread...sorry to butt in...but thank you for the link and info
Hi gcan,

Oh, now I understand. You were saying that a timer might be a good idea for your cabin.

I couldn't figure out how your total electric cabin would be a good idea for our timer. Got it backwards.

Thanks for your post,
HRG
Old 04-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Now I am confused, I responded to show what little savings there is to shutting down a HW heater, so I posted a link to an old thread I was involved with months ago, just thought that it would clear things up a bit.
Mark
Hi Mark,

If you're already aware of this, please excuse me. If you look at the top of the thread right above my first post, on the right is an option for "Display Modes". Clicking that gives an option for "Threaded Mode". Clicking "Threaded Mode" shows the thread hierarchy.

Looking at the thread hierachy, your post appears under gcan's post which makes it appear that you were responding to gcan. Wasn't sure if your response was for him or me.

Now that it's cleared up that your response was directed to me, thanks for taking the time to help out. I appreciate it.

Best regards,
HRG