Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Any way to repair PVC elbow?

In the process of remodeling my laudry area I came accross the fact that the previous owner had cracked/broken this PVC overflow/drain pipe and that my washer drain pan had been connected to nothing all this time. I am wondering if there is anyway I might be able to repair this and make it useable again? There is absolutely no way I can get access to the underside of this pipe/elbow to cut it off and replace it.

If anyone has any tips for an acceptable repair I would certainly appreciate it.

lofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

what i am going to tell you is tough even on a pro but from what i can see, take a flat head screwdriver and put it between the fitting and the pipe where it is broke at the top. slowly and methodically pry them apart a little at the time. not enough pressure will get you nowhere, too much pressure will break more than you want. doing this right will allow the pipe to collapse and break inward. it will come off pieces at the time but you can do it. you might take a hacksaw blade (out of the saw) and cut into the broke pipe running parallel with the pipe and weaken it in a few places to help. don't cut the bell of the fitting. with the pipe now out, clean up what glue is left inside the bell with a knife and you have saved yourself hundreds of dollars paying someone like me to make it worse than it was. thanks, bb

buddy builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:11 AM   #3

i think i see the top of the fitting broke too. if you accomplish what i said earlier you can take a small piece of something and make a sort of bonnet to cover the now much smaller hole at the top. swab 100% silicone on this to seal it up if needed. bb
Old 08-13-2009, 06:19 AM   #4

i hate to keep coming back with ideas but they also sell a little cutting wheel at the plumbing supply store that cuts the pipe from the inside. it is a very basic piece that will fit any drill. this could be used to weaken up the pipe in several places allowing it to break up more easily. don't cut into the fitting though. those little suckers will dig deep in a hurry. remember this needs to come out in pieces. bb
Old 08-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofar View Post
In the process of remodeling my laudry area I came accross the fact that the previous owner had cracked/broken this PVC overflow/drain pipe and that my washer drain pan had been connected to nothing all this time. I am wondering if there is anyway I might be able to repair this and make it useable again? There is absolutely no way I can get access to the underside of this pipe/elbow to cut it off and replace it.

If anyone has any tips for an acceptable repair I would certainly appreciate it.

You might have to use a smaller sized pipe connection to insert into this existing plumbing.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks, just inserting a smaller sized pipe might be a good idea. However, going on buddy builders last idea I may be able to just use a 3/4" drill bit and drill out the existing pipe. Anyone see a reason that wouldn't work or make things worse?
lofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofar View Post
Thanks, just inserting a smaller sized pipe might be a good idea. However, going on buddy builders last idea I may be able to just use a 3/4" drill bit and drill out the existing pipe. Anyone see a reason that wouldn't work or make things worse?
I wouldn't use a power tool.

Take it slow, and use a file the edges smooth.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote