Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

any septic repair pros???

so working on septic tank today- dug up the tank for access to the cleanouts and dug to locate the distribution box- found the cast iron pipe connecting them was rusted and split in 2- made for some damp nasty soil underneath the pipe...... so anyway the distribution box end towards the tank has been sitting in wet soil for awhile i guess.... well the concrete has deteriated to the point that the whole corner has disintergrated and is missing or laying in the box...... so my real questin is can i form a new end then pour new concrete in to beef this up or will this not be sealed well enough? i really dont want to replace the box but if i have to then ok because i havent come this far to have more trouble later........

gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 584

Give it a try, clean the area good and use hydraulic cement, we don't like to repair or patch but sometimes the customers really cant afford a replacement so we will repair them, usually with very good success.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,070

Why not just replace the D box and replace the old cast with PVC and not have to go though all this when it fails again.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,186

if cost is a factor at this point ...yes try to repair could not hurt and would be better than what you have now....ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Yes you can repair, but don't use hydraulic cement that is for holes. I would not waste my time trying to repair it I would replace it. They are cheap & there should be a prec-cast manufature near you. If you need a name tell me where you are near & I can tell you who is close. What happen is the sewer gas ate it & it was probably made with high w/c junk concrete.
TOOL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

so- the more i looked at it the worse it was- and when i touched it repair wasnt an option- i bought a new box. while i was working on getting the 2 drain lines hooked up i noticed that 1 was kinked and cracked..... it is not schedule 40 but thinnier. i dug as far as i could and replaced it with schedule 40. i have everything tied back in and waiting for the water to leach into and out of the box before i backfill. and i also stubbed up a 24" pipe for manhole access..... lot of work.

gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gwilkrrs For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (05-17-2013)