Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #1

Share |

Any advice for new bathroom plumbing??

I am a first time homeowner who has just finished my lower level family room. So I have learned electrical, drywall, framing, etc. Where the bathroom will be it has been "stubbed" out. ( I think that is the right wording for it ) What are your opinions on being able to finish the bathroom without hiring anyone? If I should hire someone, for what parts? Any advise as to where to start? What order to go in??? Sorry for so many questions but I have learned a lot from everyone on here so far...

melissamarie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #2

My Dad was a plumber and he always said all you need to be a real plumber is a customer. And, all you need to know is poop runs down hill and don't bite your fingernails. I always knew he was kidding by how serious was about the job being done properly and how often he said "nope can't do it that way - not code in this county.

With this forum and a couple of "how to books" I think you can do it if your other projects were successful. My first suggestions is to check your local codes and find out what will be required in your community. Some communities are very strict regarding inspections and some not. You may need to hire a plumber to pass an inspection if that is important to you. Find out before you get deep into the project.

Will it be be a full bath or 1/2 bath. How is it stubbed out? Are the Stubs where you want them? If you have more specific questions you will get more and better replies. Pictures are worth a 1000 words and attract attention on this site.

Rege

RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissamarie9 View Post
I am a first time homeowner who has just finished my lower level family room. So I have learned electrical, drywall, framing, etc. Where the bathroom will be it has been "stubbed" out. ( I think that is the right wording for it ) What are your opinions on being able to finish the bathroom without hiring anyone? If I should hire someone, for what parts? Any advise as to where to start? What order to go in??? Sorry for so many questions but I have learned a lot from everyone on here so far...
My opinion hire a pro. there is much more to plumbing than knowing that poop goes goes down hill hot on the left cold on the right and payday is on friday. Hire a pro to do the rough in for you then you can set the fixtures yourself.
al's sewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #4

I am an insurance agent and one of my clients was talking to me yesterday about how slow business is. I have seen his work and he is very good. I mentioned what we were looking to do and he offered to do all of the labor for $1500. (plumbing, tile work, everything...) I think it is too cheap to pass up! I want to learn for the future but maybe this is the time to hire a pro and watch and learn a little...

Last edited by melissamarie9; 04-16-2009 at 08:49 AM.
melissamarie9 is offline   Reply With Quote