Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Anti-siphon lid is leaking.

When we moved to the new place few months ago, most of sprinkler valves were old and leaking (whole system is 6 valves).

Yesterday, I replaced all new 6 valves. 5 of them is fine, except one valve is leaking at anti-siphon lid. Read the manual says the anti-siphon must be installed 6 in or higher than the sprinkles. The problem is that valve controls the sprinklers upper the hill (about 8 ft higher than ground).

How would do you guys do in this situation without install that valve 9 ft high from the ground ?

hpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

How big are the areas for the zones? Why is zone 6 8ft above the valve?

I assume these are electric valves, otherwise I would suggest moving the valve. If they are electric, I assume they are near your house so you can program a timer for the whole system. That would mean a leak in the valve is a risk to the house.

Does the valve leak while zone 6 is on? or does it only leak when it turns off?

If zone 6 is 8 ft above the house, how far from the house is it? Watering an area 8 ft above the house means the water will go downhill (even underground) toward the house. From a termite control perspective, that is not good.

My gut level reaction to your question is to suggest that you re-landscape zone 6 so it does not need a sprinkler zone.

gobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobug View Post
How big are the areas for the zones? Why is zone 6 8ft above the valve?

The area is up the hill in my back yard. It is about 150 ft x 15 ft. However, only about 6 fruit trees up there and I watering them via mushrooms sprinklers.

I assume these are electric valves, otherwise I would suggest moving the valve. If they are electric, I assume they are near your house so you can program a timer for the whole system. That would mean a leak in the valve is a risk to the house.

Yes, they are electric valves controlled by the timers

Does the valve leak while zone 6 is on? or does it only leak when it turns off?

It leaks when off so I assume it leaks when on also

If zone 6 is 8 ft above the house, how far from the house is it? Watering an area 8 ft above the house means the water will go downhill (even underground) toward the house. From a termite control perspective, that is not good.

It's a hill and there is the retaining wall so the water is not a problem

My gut level reaction to your question is to suggest that you re-landscape zone 6 so it does not need a sprinkler zone.
I can install the valve 6 on the hill. The big challenge is running the electrical wire. Because there is the retaining wall to retain the hill, don't know how to run the wire through it.
hpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would call a plumber to discuss your options. I believe there are mechanical, non-electric backflow and anti-syphon valves for these sorts of situations.

Each irrigation line does not necessarily need its own backflow preventer so long as there is a master one protecting the water supply.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,262

I believe anti-siphon valve won't work in your situation. you will need a double check valve or whatever your area's authority requires in order to stop cross contamination.