Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Anti-siphon hose bibb stuck NO setscrew

My garden hose bibb anti-siphon valve leaks badly. There is nothing wrong with the sillcock. I don't want to replace the sillcock. I only want to fix the leaking backflow preventer.

There is NO set screw, and no place where a set screw was broken off.

It is apparently an ABP USA model no 5228; about 15 years old. Arrowhead has parts online that might fit. But right now, I need to figure how to get it off.

Is this glued or soldered or clamped on? How in *%$# do you get it off to replace it without tearing everything up? Does it have right-hand threads? Here is a picture: http://www.geomore.com/ebay/ANTI-SIPHON.JPG

Thank You!!!
D. Smith

Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Looks to me like its just threaded in. What tools did you try to remove it with? I'd use a couple of pipe wrenches personally. One on the body of the hose bib and one on the higher portion of the anti siphon valve.

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #3

I did use two pipe wrenches on it, but my nerve gave out before the joint gave out.
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

I can imagine that 15 years of exposure will have seized the threads so maybe a lubricant will help, PB Blaster, WD40, etc... Better yet, first try a little heat on the vacuum breaker body near the threads to the hose bib to help expand it a bit. Remember that slow & steady pressure will work better and cause less grief than explosive, jerky wrenching on it.

Good luck.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #5

Mr. Bill, did you ever get that anti-siphon hose bib off and how did you do it? I have the EXACT same situation. I have tried brute force and PB Blaster. Did not try heat, because my house has PEX plumbing. I have removed ball joints from 40 yr. old Chevy pickups, but this thing is driving me crazy. Especially when you go to ACE hardware or Home Depot and try to tell them it has NO set screw and they tell you they are 100% sure it does. I am half a mind to saw that @$%^&*% thing off long ways(up & down) in 2 halves just to show it to all the folks that are calling me crazy. Thanks very much for any update.
lws6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Sometimes they have a spring mechanism inside that prevents them from coming off.

I had to take one off once, but it was a bear. I had to push in on it pretty hard to get it to disengage and rotate.

I'm not sure how the mechanics of the connection works though.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #7

Update on hose bib with NO set screw. The plumber came out to my next door neighbors house today and headed for his outside faucet. I ran over to watch. Neighbor had same faucet and same problem as me. So I asked the master plumber, "where's the set screw on that thing?" He said, "there is NO set screw". And what's more, the top half of the unit has epoxy on its threads, so that you CAN'T unscrew it. He had to unscrew the whole unit(faucet and pipe) from inside the wall and replace that whole unit. I got him to give me the old unit and I'm taking it to Ace Hardware and Home Depot to show them that I was right. I don't mind someone being wrong, but when a customer comes in and they act like he's crazy, then I've got a problem with that.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lws6772 View Post
Update on hose bib with NO set screw. The plumber came out to my next door neighbors house today and headed for his outside faucet. I ran over to watch. Neighbor had same faucet and same problem as me. So I asked the master plumber, "where's the set screw on that thing?" He said, "there is NO set screw". And what's more, the top half of the unit has epoxy on its threads, so that you CAN'T unscrew it. He had to unscrew the whole unit(faucet and pipe) from inside the wall and replace that whole unit. I got him to give me the old unit and I'm taking it to Ace Hardware and Home Depot to show them that I was right. I don't mind someone being wrong, but when a customer comes in and they act like he's crazy, then I've got a problem with that.
With the caliber of people working at those places, let alone the buffoonery that i've seen in there myself (once caught a guy trying to adapt a closet flange and a 3" abs 90 to an ADS coupling and pipe. WTF POOP IN STORM DRAIN?) they probably chalked it up to another guy not knowing what he's talking about. Give em a break.

Heck, i've had my fair share of people telling me some crazy story over the phone, and I get there and it's nothing like what they described, and ends up being something really simple.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #9

You're right about give em a break. I have always got good info/help at ACE and Home Depot. I think I was just frustrated by the time I got to the store. Those units seemed to be all brass and it seems like such a waste of resources to have to replace the whole unit just because a guy can't find a few simple washers that would rebuild it. And I realize they are on there for a good reason. But I guess a lot of home owners had just been removing them when they started leaking. So making them hard to remove is probably the only way the code folks can try to make sure they stay on the faucet. Thanks very much for everyone's help.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:20 AM   #10

Get rid of it. If there is anything that restricts flow, i.e., a nozzle on your hose, then water comes out through your anti-siphon valve.

Remove it!

Option 1. Yours has a 6 oz. brass adapter/series of concentric fittings.

How do you remove it ? With a monkey aka pipe wrench. Then, go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy PVC irrigation fitting to replace.* You see, when our house was remodeled the plumber gave us this song and dance about changes in the law that prevent contaminants from getting back into the supply of water. Hog wash. Translation: someone figured out a way to profit from applying a new rule to a situation that might happen once in a million years where maybe fertilizer from your lawn ends up in your toilet . . .
* The geniuses who came up with a new law that meant profits for someone who now got to create and sell bibs to replace all the old illegal ones that were going to poison everyone changed the threads so that what used to match now does not. So, you might need some teflon tape, some elbow grease, and you get one shot at forcing the thing on. If you get it right, no more leaks for a cost of about $2. Then go hand the chunk of brass to a homeless man to add to his metal collection of the day.

Option 2. You have a plastic one, probably with a cute octagon cap on it.
Remove the fitting if it is the plastic kind that comes with the cap that is positioned perpendicular to faucet, open it up, and superglue the plastic valve into the fully closed position. You might have to remove the small black gasket first from the moveable valve. Replace the stupid thing, sealing any chance of water going past it and water will now only go through your hose and not gurgle or flow out all over the house/lawn/sidewalk below the bib.

hate antisiphon is offline   Reply With Quote