Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2012, 01:32 AM   #1

Share |

another toilet hiss question

this goes on all day. i live in a condo. at night it is quiet unless i turn on any faucet. i have shut off the valve just to stop the noise sometimes. i know nothing about plumbing pipes valves. i am thinking there is something wrong with the water pressure in our building but a plumber who came by wants to sell me an entire new toilet. this toilet is nine years old. does shutting the valve do any kind of damage until i need to use the toilet? the hiss can go on every six minutes depending on the time of day.
nataled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
DIY staff

You have a leaking fapper ---that's my guess--have you lifted off the top of that tank and looked inside after you have had the water turned off?

Look---see if the water level in the tank goes down over night---if so---you need a flapper or a flapper and seat---

Next possibility---if the tank is over filling---water will run into the round over flow tube----and make the toilet run---to fix that---adjust the float on the flush valve----

Last possibility----The flush valve is defective---and goes off with the pressure variations in the building---change the flush valve.

The plumber may have detected a flaw in the toilet and suggested changing it for that reason---or the toilet is an economy model ---or he has a boat payment due and needs the sale.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Master Plumber

The plumber may have detected a flaw in the toilet and suggested changing it for that reason---or the toilet is an economy model ---or he has a boat payment due and needs the sale.[/QUOTE]

LOL most likely

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #4

Take the cover off of the tank, add a few drops of red foor coloring. If the red ends up in the bowl the flappers leaking, or the flapper seat is dirty.

Any DIY can rebuild a whole toilet in about an hour with about $20.00 worth of parts, and a few simple hand tools. If you go on The Fluid Master web site it will have a full break down, parts needed, trouble shooting, and instrutions on how to do it.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote