Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

ANOTHER - basement plumbing picture

I finally got around to starting my basement project that so many people on this board were nice enough to help me think through!
Ok, I know everyone is bored, tired, maybe even annoyed =) at looking at basement DWV pics, but I have one more for you. I've been reading every post I can on the subject and hopefully someone could look at the pic below and let me know if I'm doing this right before I actually do it.

What you see (or don't see) in the back right of the pic is a 2" pvc pipe coming down along the back wall of my house from my top floor washing machine and floor drain. That 2" pvc is then tying into the 3" pvc coming up from the floor (yes, I have a cleanout there). That 3" PVC was originally there picking up the washing machine which was located in the basement - I moved it to the top floor and now want to put a 1/2 bath downstairs.

That 3" PVC I would assume runs straight down the lenght of my house before it ties into the 4" main somewhere under the slab. In any case, I laid out the fittings where I plan to install them and was hoping someone could just confirm that I'm doing this right. I basically have a 3" Y being installed on that 3" line, my next connection is a 3x2" Y which would pick up the sink and act as a vent for the toilet (that is the part I am the most unsure about). Directly into that 3x2 Y I have a 2" street 90 which will travel up to a 2" T - trap coming off of the branch of course and 2" vent coming off of that - running all the way up to the attic (the washing machine connection there previously was never vented). The 3" pipe continues to a 3" 45 and then there will be a 90 which will tie into my closet flange.

On a side note, the wall to the left of closet flange is my tenants apt, and he has a small kitchen in the apt. I have an 1-1/2" PVC pipe coming through the wall from his apt and it just ends in the ceiling. I'm assuming that the "dummy" plumber installed this pipe as a "dummy" vent just to pass inspection. I'm assuming I should tie that 1-1/2" pipe into my new 2" vent and take them both all the way up to the attic.

Thank you!!!
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
ANOTHER - basement plumbing picture-basement-plumbing-rough-layout-1.jpg  

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #2

if that wall next door is fire rated, which i would hope it is, you have a problem . why do you think that pipe is a vent, sewer gas?

Old 03-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #3

It will work how you have it but, it would be better to roll the 3x2 wye 90 degrees so the branch is pointing up. The wet vent is supposed to tie in above
the centerline of the drain it serves.
SuperPlumberGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #4

Thank you - glad I asked before I "glued". I'll make sure I turn the Y and come off of that with a 45 up the wall.

As far as the mysterious vent goes - I think it's a vent because It's the only thing I can think of for that pipe. I don't have any sewer smell, but the sink in the apt is about 15 ft to the left of where the pipe terminates. Based on the fact that the washing machine in the basement was never vented I figured the plumber cut some corners and they just ran that pipe as a dummy - before I broke the wall I thought it was some type of dummy vent for the old washing machine drain, but then I realized it went into the apartment. It just amazes me how a house that is 9 years old, and must have had a plumbing inspection, was able to cut corners - makes me so nervous about the other plumbing in the house. The apt is technically not a "legal" apt. It's a single family house but the previous owner had a family member living down there and now I have a faimly member living there. So the walls are not technically fire rated but there is insulation and 5/8 rock between the apt and the main living area.

Thanks again for the advice and comments!!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #5

maybe the sleeve is just a chase between apartments for future work. if its a connected sewer vent i would think there would be gas
Old 03-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #6

I'll check that out - the idea about a chase does make sense. I'll have to give the pipe the sniff test =)
Old 03-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #7

just thought of something else, the old owner mentioned to me that he was always planning on putting a bathroom down there, but never did. He actually went so far as to have a space framed out - he even purchased a toiled which was just sitting down there when I moved in. Any chance that could be a "future vent" - if so - shouldn't it be 2"? I have to check the size again but I could swear it was 1-1/2" . Without breaking the walls is there a way to tell if that is a undersized future vent or if it's a dummied up vent for the kitchen sink in the adjoining room? I'll try to post a pic of it tomorrow..

Thanks again!