Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #1

Share |

anode rod issue

Have modular home [13mo. old] with well water system. Sulfer (rotten egg odor) in hot water only. previously was recommended change annode rod; only less than 12" clearance over top of water heater thanks to the rocket scientists' design/installation. Pressure tank is right over top of heater, Without Major plumbing surgery Suggestions? Thanks

rpulley825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #2

anode rod issue

Good luck

Service plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
Tileguy

anode rod issue

Seems way too soon to be needing to do that. Call the guys that made that installation and ask them how they thought you were going to do it when the time did come.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #4

anode rod issue

Ok while I agree that it's too soon to need it, it is possible to do. They make aftermarket anodes that are in sections that can be bent and fed into a tank with limited clearance.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Evstarr For This Useful Post:
rpulley825 (11-24-2011)
Old 11-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #5

anode rod issue

Bud Cline & Service Plumber: thanks for suggestions. after ck'g another posting suggestion, there IS a flexible annode rod avail for my brand electric water heater. will solve installation of new, just have to figure out how to get old out w/out breaking it off.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #6

anode rod issue

I have seen (or shall I say smelled!) that rotten egg problem. In the situation I saw, there was a hot water pipe going up to a 2nd level which was not used. It was filled with air.

What fixed the problem was to open a valve on the 2nd floor, let the water fill the line, and allow it to flush a bit. Then no more rotten egg smell!

Perhaps there is a place where an air bubble has formed in your plumbing? Try turning on all the hot water lines and flushing the lines. Especially if there is a bathroom you don't use.

Also mildly warm water will allow bacteria to grow. Try turning up the water heater heat.

And you may be able to add a bit of bleach to your water at the well to clean out the lines. Ask a local well drilling company or search for the words...
well water chlorination systems
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
Tileguy

anode rod issue

Quote:
just have to figure out how to get old out w/out breaking it off.
I learned something from this thread. I had no idea there were replacements that could be installed in this manner.

Why would you worry about breaking or damaging the old one?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:36 AM   #8

anode rod issue

Billy Bob, thanks for all the info. Over past year, have tried all your suggestions to no avail. 2nd floor not an issue, only 1 floor plan [I'm handicapped]. what I suspect is that original shocking of well was not performed properly. Got conflicting information on how much chlorine to use, from 1+ gal to a cup or two. Should have opted for 1+ gal treatment. but went for opposite due to several comments wouldn't be able to use well water for possibly days.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:45 AM   #9

anode rod issue

Bud Cline: Have read a couple articles that caution breaking off old annode rod for 2 major reasons; 1) broken off portion falls back into tank and in most instances will make noise every time tank refills, 2) damage (?) to inside of tank. Comments on this welcome. If not issues, new annode rod in by tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #10

anode rod issue

Pull it up so high and vise grip it so it don't fall back in the tank then cut it.
Take out a section at a time. You might even be able to cut the new rod so it fits then just check it once or twice a year. That rod should have lasted a lot longer sounds like you got funky water.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to COLDIRON For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (11-25-2011), rpulley825 (11-25-2011)
Old 11-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #11

anode rod issue

Whew!---thanks to all for info