Angle Stop To Toilet Leaking - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Angle stop to toilet leaking

I have successfully replaced the filling valve to my toilet cistern and that is working fine now. But now when I turned the water supply back on at the angle stop THAT is now leaking. I double checked that it wasn't a leak coming from higher up at a bad seal at the base of the toilet and it is definitely fine and clearly coming from the little screw bit of the angle stop. I should point out that I am a complete novice. So how can I fix the angle stop? Or does it just need replacing now too?? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Advertisement

Indeimogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 524

There are three places that it could be leaking. the jount where it attaches to the supply pipe coming from the floor/wall. The joint where the supply pipe feeds to the toilet tank. And the last place is the packing nut behind the handle. My first guess is the packing nut is leaking as you had to have turned the water off to change out the parts in the tank. This is a fairly common problem on valves that have been in service for a while. It is a simple fix if it is not leaking too bad. You need to simply tightn that nut a little bit to compress thwe packing around the stem. do not over do this as it can compress the packing too much and keep the valve stem from turning properly in the event you need to shut the water off.

I don't know where this came from accept that an old time plumber told me this once...Never open a valve completly untill it stops. He said to always leave a little bit left...about 1/8 - 1/16 of a turn. Myth or fiction, I don't know.

Advertisement

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danpik For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik View Post
...Never open a valve completly untill it stops. He said to always leave a little bit left...about 1/8 - 1/16 of a turn. Myth or fiction, I don't know.
Fact actually. A lot of valves never get 'exercised' (opened & closed) regularly and can therefore become stuck in the completely open position. Leaving it a 1/4 to 1/8th turn from fully open will allow you to gently turn left and right till it's loosened up enough to start closing it fully.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

I was also taught not to open a valve all the way years ago, many years ago. I was taught that the reason for this was that if you opened the valve until it "stopped", the valve seat (whether globe or gate valve) would bottom out and you would be pulling the stem a bit further out each time. I have seen stop valves in which the stem had separated from the sealing part of the valve. As stated--I'm also betting that just a little tightening of the packing gland nut will stop this leak.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angle valve , leak , toilet