Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #1

Share |

Amtrol (203?)pressure tank

New here, and I need advice!

I got up this morning and noticed a lack of psi in the shower, then through the faucet in the sink.

After having a few leaks in the past, we checked around for leaks, etc. (we have a well). No leaks. The pressure seemed normal again, and we all went to work and school. When I got home, 8 hrs later, I flushed the toilet, and almost no water. I checked the tank, and it was OK (new one last year). Since, it has been running fine, but will diminish psi a bit more than normal before the pump cuts in. Is this the "momentary lack of psi" described by Amtrol literature and fixed by adjusting the switch? If so, should I adjust both nuts? Also, there is a bit (very little) of air in the lines, but that is normal for us.

I am worried that our pump is going to fail, but I have been told there is no real way of telling that, until it fails.

Thanks!

Bill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #2

Just trying to bump this up, hopefully someone will give better help then I can,,,,,, with no one home for 8 hours, pressure should of been up, seems you have a leak somewhere, with air in the lines and pressure dropping something is not right, course you know that. Point being that a leak of water is one thing, water leaking and air entering the system is something else. I had well water in the past and there is alot to the system to check.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #3

Thanks for the bump!

Anyway, I adjusted the cut in a bit higher, and it does seem to make a difference. Don't know why this started to happen in the first place, with everything being new in past 8-10 months or so.

Of course today I am in the middle of bleaching the well, so if there is something, I might find out today, because that is usually the way it goes.

When I called the plumber, he said they usually like to see 30-50 psi. as the limits. It seems that mine was a bit low for both ends, so I adjusted it some.

Even though the switch was replaced at the same time, I suppose there could be something wrong with it.

I could also shut down the system again, drain water, and check the bladder psi. Not sure if that could ave something to do with it.

We'll see I guess. Thanks,

Bill
Old 12-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #4

Bill,
One thing I found a few years back was that a bit of rust from the well got into the line that runs from the holding tank to the pressure valve clogging the inlet to the pressure valve and causing a similar problem.
Don
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #5

One note passed along to me, being inexpensive, when replacing the other parts, replace the pressure guage. that is the guide you're using to note when the pump is kicking on and off. I use to get some build up in the pipes causing some problems. And had the "bleach cleaning" done one time, whole house smelled like bleach after taking a shower. good luck with this, and keep asking on here, there's some fine people with knowledge to help you.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies so far...

The gauge was replaced at the same time as the tank and switch. Tank is a WX 203-Pro (125 psi max)

I put a load of clothes in and sat and watched the psi gauge. It cuts out at 46, then went down to about 32-33 (checked and it was more like at 35), slowly went down to around 28-30, then took a sudden dip to 25 as the pump kicked in. Not sure what that is about. I know the rule of thumb is 20 psi between low/hi, so maybe I need to adjust the high a bit. The tank bladder is supposed to be at 28psi. Not sure on that one.

As far as the bleaching goes, yeah, it takes a ton of water to clear it out. My problem is that I waited too long to do it (it is winter here). I haven't smelled bleach through the faucets yet, after running water, washing clothes (so as not to waste septic space). Once I do smell, most of the water will be drained in an alternate location.

I also am tackling both issues at once, not smart, but the wife and kids are gone for a couple of days, so it works out.

Thanks again, and keep the ideas coming.

Bill

Last edited by Bill7; 12-19-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #7

If the tank came precharged to 28 lbs and the switch was set to 20/40 you would run completely out of water before the switch kicks on.

If you adjust the switch to 30/50 remember to empty the bladder tank and adjust the air pressure to 28 lbs.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #8

is this a common occurence that precharged tanks don't come set at 28#
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #9

The ones I have bought come precharged to around 28 lbs. but that doesn't work well with a 20/40 switch. I have no idea if the pressure had even been checked or adjusted to the switch when it was installed.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #10

thanks, I usually deal with30/50 setups and have seen no problems
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #11

The tank air pressure should always 2 lbs below the cut on pressure. The short surge of no water for an instant is usually due to improper air pressure in the tank.

Likewise I like 30/50 psi settings that gives you an average of 40 psi. Ideally I would have the settings at 40/60 with a Cycle Stop Valve www.cyclestopvalves.com installed between the pump and tank as that gives you 50 lbs of constant pressure like city water pressure. No up and down psi noticed.

Porky, MGWC
Master Ground Water Consultant
www.dci-inc.us

Porky is offline   Reply With Quote