American Natural Gas Water Heater Anode Rod Location? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Art Woo

Old 05-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

American natural gas water heater anode rod location?

Hello
I installed a American 40 gallon water heater. It was manufactured in 2016 the model number is AMERICAN GB61-40T40-n blanket. Does anyone here have experience with this specific model? I cant seem to find the anode rod location. There is no hexagonal nut on the top of the heater. There is only the cold and hot inlets and the TPR valve. Im assuming that the anode rod is a nipple type that is attached to the hot side inlet heat trap nipple. I called American and the operator told me that it should be right behind the cold inlet dip tube. I told her that there is no hole there. I then asked her if I needed to take the top cover off of the tank and dig through the insulation to get to it. She said no and didnt believe me when I told her there is no nut or hole there. There is only the hole for the TPR valve. I was hoping to figure out its location so I can be sure what type of anode rod I need to get and I would rather not have to take the top cover off if I dont need to. Thank you for any help with this! Ive attached a photo of the top of the tank also.
Attached Thumbnails
American natural gas water heater anode rod location?-imag0882_1.jpg  

Advertisement

Art Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 318

Re: American natural gas water heater anode rod location?

Apparently that model has a non sacrificial anode rod. Shouldn't ever need to be replaced unless damaged.

Click on link. Check manual and scroll down to page 24 and read about it. under "powered anode operation". I think this is your model. If not, just go to americans website and pull it up. Or check the manual that came with it.

http://www.americanwaterheater.com/m...317994-002.pdf

Advertisement

jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #3

Btw, Welcome to the forums Art.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #4

Here is their website. Find your model, click on pdf and get manual if needed. If you scroll down under about half way under gas water heaters, find 40t40-n, download pdf. scroll down to Page 24.

http://www.americanwaterheater.com/s...pport/manuals/
Old 05-20-2017, 05:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,660

Art,
What is the foil on the exhaust pipe?
bob22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 4

Jmon thanks for the reply . But I dont think it has a powered anode. I reviewed the manual a few times and it looks like a manual for various model "American Brand" water heaters. I think the only way for me to figure out where the location is is to check under the Hot water nipple if its not there it must be buried under the lid cover and under the insulation.
Bob 22 to answer your question . That is Nashua foil tape. The water heater vent is a little old . It was just a added precaution to make sure there was no CO leaks in the elbows. I checked it for proper flow using the burn match method. I also cleaned out the vent prior to my install.
jmon likes this.

Advertisement

Last edited by Art Woo; 05-20-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Art Woo is offline   Reply With Quote