Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #1

Share |

Alternative ways to terminate a gas pipe

Hi Everyone

I have a bit of a problem at the moment. I've just removed a masonry wall in my first floor apartment (yes the engineers ticked it off first!) which had an old fashioned gas heater in it. The floor is concrete slab and I now want to terminate the residual gas pipe below the surface of the concrete floor (the pipe is is currently sticking out of the slab).

Initially, the builder and plumber intended on digging down into the slab to where the pipe had a 90 degree join and cap it off, however it appears that the 90 degree bend is rather far into the slab and as such will be difficult to cap coming from the top.

We've considered welding the pipe to cap it however the plumber is concerned it may jeapordise the integrity of the 90 degree join and as such create a leak in the future.

My question, does anyone know of any alternate ways to cap a gas pipe other than threading and capping it?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Nic
Nboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Again, I hate the word "assume", so let's "pretend" here. It sounds as if you are talking about threaded pipe, either black or galvanized. Very common to run threaded pipe close to a gas heater and then finish with copper line. You state that you have a plumber involved already. 1) Even though this is an apartment, is there a possibility of dis-connecting/capping the gas line outside somewhere just to your apartment? 2) Are you planning on using the floor space where the old wall was? IF not, could the plumber hand cut threads on the pipe and cap it off above floor level? IMO--welding anything to this pipe is not a good idea, it is/was a gas line at one time and could possibly have residual gases in it. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Again, I hate the word "assume", so let's "pretend" here. It sounds as if you are talking about threaded pipe, either black or galvanized. Very common to run threaded pipe close to a gas heater and then finish with copper line. You state that you have a plumber involved already. 1) Even though this is an apartment, is there a possibility of dis-connecting/capping the gas line outside somewhere just to your apartment? 2) Are you planning on using the floor space where the old wall was? IF not, could the plumber hand cut threads on the pipe and cap it off above floor level? IMO--welding anything to this pipe is not a good idea, it is/was a gas line at one time and could possibly have residual gases in it. Good Luck, David
Speaking of residual gases. They sometimes (or perhaps always) don't dissipate even after decades. As an electrician, I was working with the old electric "boxes" that were mounted on the (even older) former gas lines that were used for lighting more than a Century ago. They (gas pipes) had a cap where the old gas light was mounted. When we tampered with those caps, a strong, last gasp of gas (maybe a redundancy) shot out. No, these were not active gas lines. (No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #4

Thanks guys.

I want to use the floorspace which is why this is such an issue.

I can start again from the gas mains however it's in an apartment and the body corporate may prove difficult in terms of bring new pipes around the building etc.

I've seen a couple of foam products that are used for industrial pipes but can't seem to locate any domestic equivalents which is quite frustrating!

I'll keep searching !
Nboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #5

If we're talking about threaded pipe you could go in through the floor, wall or ceiling and back out the piece that is cut off. Then a cap could be installed on an adjoining piece.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:42 AM   #6

how about the line into the elbow from the main on the horizontal?if you could cut that piece at the elbow going in then remove it...thread and cap that or plug into the fitting it un-threads out of down/away from the elbow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #7

why not trace it back to where it branches of from the main and cap there? If thats not possible break the concrete dig it out and cap it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cap, gas, pipe, plug, plumbing