Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
drh

Share |

Alternative to hookup trap primer in basement bath?

Hello,

Looking for some advice on hooking up our p-trap prime lines in our new basement bath. The plumber had run primers to our p-traps and had instructed me to purchase a bathroom faucet that had a prime line connection when it came time to finish the bathroom.

After looking through all the bathroom faucets available out there, I've come to learn that nearly ALL of them do NOT come with a prime line hookup.

This being the case, is there an alternative I can use (splice them into the faucet line somehow?) to run water into the primers ?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Dan

drh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

are you already in the finish stages or do you have access to the pipes in the wall?

Really your other option is to tie a trap primer into the plumbing.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #3

drh, why do all faucets need trap primers? Not sure what State you are in but I have never seen this required anywhere I have worked. I thought Florida had weird codes but nothing like this. Just interested to get this info.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
drh

majakdragon, only the bathroom and laundry room faucets have primes that need hookup - there are two drains in the basement on opposite ends of the room that had separate primes run to each fixture. The bathroom prime is for the bathroom drain (in the middle of the room), the other is for a secondary drain in the rec room (both of which aren't expected to see much water, hence the need for primes).

Laundry room faucets all seem to come with primers as per default, it's the bathroom faucets that don't.

Alan - unfortunately the walls are closed in, so the only access I have to the plumbing now are the bits sticking out of the walls for the sink and toilet runs.

Thanks for the help,
Dan
Toronto, Canada
Old 08-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh View Post
majakdragon, only the bathroom and laundry room faucets have primes that need hookup - there are two drains in the basement on opposite ends of the room that had separate primes run to each fixture. The bathroom prime is for the bathroom drain (in the middle of the room), the other is for a secondary drain in the rec room (both of which aren't expected to see much water, hence the need for primes).

Laundry room faucets all seem to come with primers as per default, it's the bathroom faucets that don't.

Alan - unfortunately the walls are closed in, so the only access I have to the plumbing now are the bits sticking out of the walls for the sink and toilet runs.

Thanks for the help,
Dan
Toronto, Canada
Well, there really isn't any reason i can see, (although i've never actually hooked one up, just seen a couple of them) that you can't attach to the stub-out for your cold under the sink before you put the angle stop on. Do you have copper coming out of the wall or pex or ?

Only thing with this is that it will make your cabinet a bit more cluttered, but thats a small trade to keep out the sewer gasses.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #6
drh

Alan - the stub out is PEX, and I've already crimped on the angle stop/shutoff valve to the end. Is there a way to tie in some sort of "T" between the angle stop and the fixture?