DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

ALOT Of Help Needed for Plumbing

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  plumber Jim 
#1 ·
HI all, this is my 1st post here and it a doosey :laughing:.I am looking for all the help I can get for replacing the plumbing in our recently purchased home. This home was perfect setting for our family and really needs some updating.

The house contains a full basement with 2 floors (main floor and bedrooms floor) and an attic. The plumbing is in shambles and is in need of updating. What I plan to do is replace all the copper piping with the a pex system. I am some what familiar with an copper system but I rather go with the new pex system for the whole house and know little about the pex system.

There are 2 and a half bathrooms in the house (bedroom floor bath consits of tub with hand held shower , toilet, and sink) and located directly below on the main floor is another full bath with the same as in the top floor. Plumbing this should be easy where as the bathrooms on the top floor and main floor are directly over each other. In the basement there a half bath consiting of a toilet and a sink.

Currently the stack do not enter the attic nor exit thru the roof BUT there an air intake on the top floor thu the side of the house that is tied into the toilet on the top floor. This poor excuse of a vent is about an inch or inch & 1/4.

I will provide pics soon of this plumbing nightmare so you can better understand what I have to face and overcome. I also plan on getting permits for the plumbing and getting it inspected so that is passes codes for the Canadian region.

Also I need to add plumbing for a washer and dryer in a spare bedroom adjactent to the top floor washroom. Yes it gonna be alot of work and the walls and floors have to come out as I already have the spareroom and top floor bathroom now gutted and ready to do what is needed.

I am in need of help with my plumbing from diagrams to instalation. I am a 2nd year electrical appretice and have fair knowlege of carpentry and the use of the tools involved.

Anyone want to help me theu this form start to finish?

Thanks you for ur time in reading my request

~FYE~

See less See more
#3 ·
That is far beyond a DIY project. You need a permit to do that work and have it inspected. that way it can be checked to be sure its correct. at least 1 vent either full size of 2" depending on what code you are on MUST vent outside, you can't have only aavs. I would have to say on this one you need a licensed plumber to make sure this gets done right and you don't end up with a mess.

#4 ·
Although I agree with the comments regarding permits, inspections and AAV's, I have to disagree that this can't be a DIY project. I've seen dozens of folks successfully do this on their own. The only caveat is that you do need some plumbing experience to be able to do it all...If you lack that then you may want to defer to a pro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.