Allen Screw And Copper Pipe? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Allen screw and copper pipe?

New copper pipe install and faucet...

I put on the faucet and tightened down the allen screw etc.. only to find out the "O" ring got nicked and I was getting some drips. Replaced "O" rind and no problems now. My question is I have tightened the Allen Screw about 4 different times getting the faucet on right and not have it secured. How tight can you go with this screw. The bottom of the pipe is chewed up a bit now from the 4 different times I installed the faucet. Can the screw ever go right through the pipe? Or will it kink/flatten it first? Or is the copper pipe strong enough that someone could do this many times?

Thank you,

Adam

Advertisement

dolvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Allen screw and copper pipe?

You'd probably get more responses if we knew what kind of faucet you were installing.

About the only experience I have with tightening set screws onto copper pipes is when installing bathtub slip-on spouts. If at all possible, and you can foresee having to tighten a set screw onto that pipe, then use Type K copper pipe for the section the set screw will clamp onto. I'd be concerned that a set screw could very easily damage the thinner walled Type M copper piping. I don't think it would puncture the pipe, but I could see it crimping the pipe.

Advertisement