Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:52 AM   #1

Share |

All three toilets suddenly leaking

My husband and I recently retired and moved into our summer home. We put an addition on and added two more bathrooms. We moved in last winter and had no problems with the toilets.

This week it has been raining a lot and it has been very humid. I started noticing water on the floor around the toilets.

Two of the toilets have the insulated tanks to prevent condensation forming because we have well water, one does not.

When I check around the toilets the pipe of incoming water to all the toilets are wet and all around the exterior toilet bowl is wet. There is no smell like the septic is backing up.

If it is simply condensation is there anything I can do about this? Or should I just wrap the pipe going to the toilet with a towel during the summer months?

I did this with the uninsulated toilet and it seemed to help. The floor was damp to the touch but there was not the amout of water I was seeing on the other toilets.

Could the wax rings be the problem? But since the ring in the original toilet was installed at a different time as the other two it would seem odd that all will fail at the same time.

Anybody else have this problem and how did you solve it?
clueless88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:10 AM   #2

sounds like just condensation to me since all three stated at the same time.short of wrapping them with a towel to help keep the water off the floor I don't think their is much you can do or get a dehumidifier to help pull some of the moister out of the air
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #3

its as simple as cold water in a glass just poured,the humidity in the room causes the condensation just like on the porcielin in the bathroom all at the same time...the tank and the cold water lines...the more it is flushed the more it will condensate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:33 PM   #4

Thanks guys. What really irritates me is that I payed a lot extra for insulated toilets that are not supposed to sweat. That is why I was confused.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #5

I think your only real and permenant fix is to have mixing valves installed at the toilet supply lines. This will raise the toilet supply water temperature to a level that will not allow for condensation to form on the bowls.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:34 PM   #6

tell ya what a friend of mine did,I didn't think it would work but it did.He got one of those small heaters like you put in fish tanks and clipped it to the side of his tank for the summer.It raised the water temp and pretty much stopped all the water condensation unless he had a party and the toilet was used allot.Don't know if you really want to try it but its a thought and it was cheep
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:07 AM   #7

That fish tank heater may work, but the hot water valve thing I don't think will work since I have a tankless water heater.

Thanks!