Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #1

Share |

Are all new fixtures low flow or ?.

I am planning on replacing some of the fixtures in our house. I know that you can only get toilets that are 1.6 gallon now and I was wondering if all of the new fixtures on the market are lower flow. Right now I have great water flow with very strong pressure. I am very pleased with it but a bathroom remodel going on we need new fixtures to match. Any info would be appreciated.

twilightcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Journeyman Plumber

Yes out of the factory there low-flow

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Licensed Master Plumber

twilight,

It depends what you mean by "low flow". There are a couple of things to consider.

First, the water pressure and flow has almost nothing to do with the flushing ability of a tank type toilet. The toilet flushes with the water that is stored in the tank and the incoming water is used only to refill the tank (and sometimes the bowl.) There are also some that use compressed air to assist the flush but the flushing is still not dependent on the water pressure.

Second, the technology has improved tremendously since 1.6 GPF (gallon per flush) toilet legislation was passed in 1992. I just attended a Green Plumbers certification program where I saw a .8 GPF toilet flush a normal size potato! This was actually a dual flush model, which are available from several manufacturers. You can either push a .8 GPF button or a 1.6 GPF button, depending on.... you can figure it out. So, yes the only toilets you can get are 1.6 GPF maximum. California just passed legislation requiring 1.2 GPF toilets or dual flush equivalents. The good news is that you may qualify for rebates if you are changing out older toilets. You can check to see at: http://www.dsireusa.org . Click on your state.

As far as the faucets in your home, everything you can buy today will be designed to meet existing code requirements. Right now that is 2.5 GPM (gallons per minute) for shower heads and around 2.2 GPM for lavatory and sink faucets. Local codes are getting more restrictive every day so I could be wrong for many areas.
The sink faucets don't really matter much to most people, it's the shower that we care about. There are many different styles of shower heads on the market and the performance varies a lot. You can look for the trend to be toward lower and lower flow fixtures as time passes.

Both Moen and Delta, arguably the "Big Two" as far as faucets are concerned, are introducing lower flow shower heads designed to give the experience of a higher flow rate. Whether or not they actually do really just depends on how it feels to you. It is really amazing how much engineering they do to design a shower head these days. Just like the toilets, they have come a long way with lower flow technology.

So don't be too concerned about the newer flow rate requirements. The newer toilets, especially the dual flush models, flush a lot better than ever. Just don't buy the bottom of the price range in most brands as they are the lowest price for a reason. I personally like Kohler but there are lots of other great flushing toilets out there. If you buy a "Water Sense" labeled toilet the rebates are usually higher.

There is one thing to think about. While there are many really good after market shower heads that give a good "pressure perception", the color selection is limited. If you are planning anything other than chrome you just need to be aware of that.

I hope all of this helps.

Check out my goofy video for my new toilet repair book.

Last edited by mstplumber; 06-11-2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: typo
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:52 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I appreciate all of the info.

Regarding the toilet I believe I have a 3 gallon tank right now. The reason I am concerned about a 1.6 gallon is that I have cast iron drains and I worry that a 1.6 gallon won't move the load that I need it to.

Regarding the sinks I do want to have decent water still. Right now our fixtures are from the late 60s and man do they move the water. Is there a way to change a new low flow faucet to move more water.

Great info guys. I really appreciate it. MSTplumber you really have all of this down pat.
twilightcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightcall View Post
I am planning on replacing some of the fixtures in our house. I know that you can only get toilets that are 1.6 gallon now and I was wondering if all of the new fixtures on the market are lower flow. Right now I have great water flow with very strong pressure. I am very pleased with it but a bathroom remodel going on we need new fixtures to match. Any info would be appreciated.
You can get a high flow (~3.8 gal) toilet tank if you drive up to Canada and buy it there.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #6

Although all fixtures are now regulated to a certain GPM, this does not mean that all fixtures are created equal. I have a Waterpic showerhead that will blow you out of the shower at 2.5 GPM. Engineering is important. I also have an American Standard Cadet toilet that has no problems with flushing whatever it has in it and it only cost $100. I firmly believe that if you think you need a toilet that will flush 16 golfballs, you need a Doctor more than a Plumber. Just for fun, go to Home Depot and look at the toilet display. Compare all the features of each. Discharge holes range from 1-1/2" to 2-3/8". Fully glazed trapways allow waste to flow easier and faster. If the tank is not adjusted to the proper water level, you have less water for each flush. Sometimes it is the simple things that make something work good or bad.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #7

[quote=majakdragon;130202] I firmly believe that if you think you need a toilet that will flush 16 golfballs, you need a Doctor more than a Plumber. quote]
I nearly fell off of my chair on that one