Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11
Share |
Default

All backed up!


My toilet keeps backing up and i just had the wasteline snaked. When they snaked it they pulled out the head which had some roots wraped around it. I have a feeling I am going to have to dig it up. I have a two main wastelines in my crawl so my question is do they run along the outside of my house and connect out front, or does the furthest one run under the house and connect to the other? Plus how long do you think it woul take to replace it by digging out by hand? On a budget ! P.S. its 75 feet to the street and 30 from one side of the house to the other

I haven't a clue any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
jeepdogsfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 15
Default

All backed up!


Your drain lines are all going to connect and go out the house in one line. No, you can't dig it up by hand. A plumber needs to put a fiber optic sewer camera down the sewer line with a locator on it to determine what kind of damage your line has, where it is, and how deep it is. Then and only then can anyone give a good estimate for cost of repair. Any other way is just guessing.
Plumber44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
HVAC / Plumbing
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,801
Default

All backed up!


do you know what the line is made of ? If it's cement sections or terracotta sections. I would have it all replaced... Here (in my area) PVC isn't allowed for sewer.. We can come out of the house 3-4 ft with PVC. Then, We are required to use Ductile iron
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 15
Default

All backed up!


Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
do you know what the line is made of ? If it's cement sections or terracotta sections. I would have it all replaced... Here (in my area) PVC isn't allowed for sewer.. We can come out of the house 3-4 ft with PVC. Then, We are required to use Ductile iron

Wow, you guys have to use ductile iron. what state is that. That has got to be hard to work with.
Plumber44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 203
Default

All backed up!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber44 View Post
Wow, you guys have to use ductile iron. what state is that. That has got to be hard to work with.
I agree with 44 there. start a petition to your state to join us in the 21 st century
al's sewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
HVAC / Plumbing
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,801
Default

All backed up!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber44 View Post
Wow, you guys have to use ductile iron. what state is that. That has got to be hard to work with.


This isn't all over the state.. Just local county.. if it's tied to the county sewer it must be ductile iron or it will not be approved.. Septic tank can use PVC.. Years ago we were allowed to use PVC for sewer.. For Some reason someone from the county decided it wasn't good enough. Probably someone on the county board has a brother , sister, etc, that sells ductile iron... You guys know how politics work right ?? Hey, it's ok with me, just drives the cost up for the customer

Last edited by kenmac; 04-11-2009 at 03:01 PM.
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 203
Default

All backed up!


Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
This isn't all over the state.. Just local county.. if it's tied to the county sewer it must be ductile iron or it will not be approved.. Septic tank can use PVC.. Years ago we were allowed to use PVC for sewer.. For Some reason someone from the county decided it wasn't good enough. Probably someone on the county board has a brother , sister, etc, that sells ductile iron... You guys know how politics work right ?? Hey, it's ok with me, just drives the cost up for the customer
We had a plumber inspector in maryland that hated foam core pvc and he wouldn't let us use it above ground at all but yet it was legal all over the state. So when a county commisioner had his house built he wanted us to use foam core for cost reasons. the next commisioners meeting foam core was approved for above ground installaions So yes I know how politics work
al's sewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Foil Backed OSB DaveHembree Roofing/Siding 26 08-27-2013 01:46 PM
Backed up basement floor drain billvasko Plumbing 2 02-06-2008 01:09 PM
Rubber Backed Rugs on Laminate prowler 13 Flooring 1 12-10-2007 09:25 AM
Backed Up Bathtub bobo Plumbing 1 01-07-2007 08:45 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.