Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #1

Share |

air in well water

I have lots of air in my water lines. Problem began after I turned off power to my xtrol pressure tank, then back on. I also hear a frequent noise of water running near the xtrol pressure tank.

Please help.
maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #2

air in well water

Not sure what you mean when you say you shut the power off to the tank. There is no power on a pressure tank, just a line for the water in the bottom of it.

Unscrew the cap on the top of the tank and press down on the valve to see if water comes out. If it does there''s a hole in the bladder and the whole tank needs to be replaced.
There should be air pressure just a few pounds less then the pump pressure in that tank under the valve not water. The water is just suppost to be in the bottom of the tank.
If the bladder broke all the air that was in it is now in the water system.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #3

air in well water

Thanks for the reply, Joecaption. I pressed the valve on top and no water came out. Only air. My water was fine before I turned off power to the house for some other work. Turned it back on and there's air in lines. Lots. I tried messing with the cut in and cut out screws on the pressure tank, but didn't see any difference in the air issue.

Also, I hear frequent hissing at the pressure tank like the sound of air. I can't find any air leaking outside the tank or out from any of the fittings. It's an xtrol 38psi pressure tank.

What the heck. God I wish the water/sewer utilities were offered in my area.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #4

air in well water

If you just shut the eletric power off for some reason theis should have nothing to do with the water system.
Was there also some type of plumbing work done at the same time?
If so then there's always going to be air in the lines for a few min.
Just go around and open up each faucet until it clears up.

Does the pump build up pressure then shut off, or does it just keep running?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #5

air in well water

Quote:
Originally Posted by maveric View Post
Thanks for the reply, Joecaption. I pressed the valve on top and no water came out. Only air. My water was fine before I turned off power to the house for some other work. Turned it back on and there's air in lines. Lots. I tried messing with the cut in and cut out screws on the pressure tank, but didn't see any difference in the air issue.

Also, I hear frequent hissing at the pressure tank like the sound of air. I can't find any air leaking outside the tank or out from any of the fittings. It's an xtrol 38psi pressure tank.

What the heck. God I wish the water/sewer utilities were offered in my area.
what you might be hearing is water leaking through foot valve on pump emptying line is the pressure gauge dropping...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #6

air in well water

Joe and Ben's plumbing, thanks a lot for replying. No plumbing work was done when I cut power. My brother added a circuit breaker for me to add some lighting.

I've been dealing with the air for several weeks and have turned all the faucets on many many times to bleed the air out. Still keeps coming (intermittently).

The pressure tank doesn't constantly run, though I hear the air (sounding) noise much of the time.

I just now was hearing (in order)
1. the air (sounding) noise, for a couple minutes.
2. Then I heard a click and the air sounding noise stops,
3. then loud sound of water coming into the pressure tank.

I'm guessing the "cut-in" device caused # 2 and then 3.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #7

air in well water

Quote:
Joe and Ben's plumbing, thanks a lot for replying. No plumbing work was done when I cut power. My brother added a circuit breaker for me to add some lighting.

I've been dealing with the air for several weeks and have turned all the faucets on many many times to bleed the air out. Still keeps coming (intermittently).

The pressure tank doesn't constantly run, though I hear the air (sounding) noise much of the time.

I just now was hearing (in order)
1. the air (sounding) noise, for a couple minutes.
2. Then I heard a click and the air sounding noise stops,
3. then loud sound of water coming into the pressure tank.

I'm guessing the "cut-in" device caused # 2 and then 3.
ok thats what iam talking about the click is pump shutting off...pressure is dropping line is filling up with air pump is comming on pushing air in holding tank.....i think your foot valve on pump is bad or hanging up.. could you get us a picture of set up at tank....
Old 04-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #8

air in well water

I will upload a pic of everything tonight and a pic of myself for any females out there

"Foot valve" doesn't sound expensive.

Thanks a lot for the help Ben's Pluming of PA!
Old 04-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #9

air in well water

Quote:
I will upload a pic of everything tonight and a pic of myself for any females out there

"Foot valve" doesn't sound expensive.

Thanks a lot for the help Ben's Pluming of PA!
foot valves are on the bottom of pump..which would need pulled up to replacehow deep is well????
Old 04-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #10

air in well water

Thanks for the bad news, Ben's Plumbing!!!

Bottom of pump means pulling up lot of tubing, I think. Not sure if it's a do it yourselfer task I can do. I have no idea how far down my well is. I wouldn't imagine the range of depth is that different.

Well, the air still is coming. It's a little with each tap use. Not like continuous problem. Some times a little, sometimes a lot, sometimes not at all. My x-trol is a 38psi system. It's reading 38-52 at different times. No idea how much top valve reads. Also, it's supposed to be 2 psi lower than what? My lower guage fluctuates so much (38-52 psi).

Thanks man!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #11

air in well water

A problem with the pressure tank will not cause air to be mixed with water for days and days.

Perhaps the water level at the bottom of the well is a little low and some air is being sucked up from down there.

If air is being sucked up from the well it can be gotten rid of by running the water line first through a second pressure tank, with separate inlet and outlet pipes on the bottom and no bladder. Manually press the Schrader valve on top every week or so to let the air out. The original pressure tank should remain in use.

Alternatively you can work on the well. It might be an easy fix, setting the pump (submersible pump) a little lower. The worst case is that the well may need to be dug deeper.

The pressure gauge should have a 15 to 25 PSI swing between pump turn on and pump turn off. From 38 to 52 PSI is a normal range. If you turn the pump off and open a faucet and wait until everything dies down then you would set the main pressure tank to slightly less than pump turn on, about 35 PSI in your case. Use a hand operated air pump for this.

While you are checking things out, check for system leaks by observing whether the pressure gauge drops and the pump comes on a lot when no one is using water.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-26-2012 at 11:24 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air in well water