Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Tinker

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Air in water line

Neighborhood has had work done on water lines and had lots of air and sputtering, dirt when I turned my faucets on; then the kitchen faucet began leaking.

Replaced the washers(?), helped but still leaked/dripped from the faucet so bought a new faucet for the kitchen and had a friend install.

Well now every time I turn the water on (separate handles, no more joy stick) the sink sputters again. Turned off the water coming into the house to drain both hot and water faucets. Didn't help. In addition, there's this drip coming from the hot water side only...I turned off the cold water under the sink to see what line was causing the drip. Am I making any sense here. New to this forum and to this type of work. Should I call a plumber instead of allowing a friend to help?

Did I get a defective new kitchen fixture/faucet?

Jo Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,026

Air in water line

It's hard to say whether the fixture was defective or you did not tighten up the joints correctly. You will need to figure that out, some toilet paper pressed here and there may help find the exact location of a leak.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 544

Air in water line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Jones View Post
Neighborhood has had work done on water lines and had lots of air and sputtering, dirt when I turned my faucets on; ...snip...
Well now every time I turn the water on (separate handles, no more joy stick) the sink sputters again.
I would stop using water from the city for human or animal consumption until all of the sputtering and dirt stops. The work on the neighborhood water lines contaminated the system and continuous sputtering indicates that work is still being done or something is wrong. Maybe contact your city and have them verify that the water to your home is safe.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Tinker

Air in water line

I'll only use to wash clothes and continue with bottled water until the work is completed.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,348

Air in water line

It's common to have some air in the lines after they have been worked on.
Remove all the airators on the faucets and let some water run out of them until it stops sputering.
Make sure to flush the toilets, open outside faucets and run the tub. Only need to let then run for about a min. one at a time.

Last edited by joecaption; 04-13-2012 at 08:48 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #6
Tinker

Air in water line

I try to do as much stuff myself so this is stuff I can do on my own. AllanJ, you're probably right. when I reach up under the sink, the fitting that tighten the faucet handles to the sink were a little loose and I tightened which slowed the drip down so I'll get a flash light and really get up under there and see where it's leaking...toilet paper you said? so if the toilet paper gets damp that's the side that's leaking? I believe I've already isolated it to the hot water side when I cut the water off under the sink: hot first no leak when cold water supply was left open; then shut off cold water supply and there's that pesky drip. Like I said, I've slowed it down so just need to get under there and tighten better. Seems to be a plastic looking piece that you just tight with your hands on not a wrench of any kind. DO NOT want to crack anything for sure.