Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #1

Share |

Is this against code.

In laws call last night, put celery in disposal and ended up with water and chopped celery under dishwasher. In b/t their sink cabinet and dishwasher is another cabinet. I pulled out dishwasher. The drain line for it is just stuffed into a pipe coming out of the wall. Their kitchen was renovated about 15 years ago they said.

I ripped open the wall behind the dishwasher. Basically the guy put a P-trap in off of the drain and left the pipe open to shove the dishwasher drain line in. (I was surprised he even put a trap in after seeing this).

Basically the drain is backed up and all the water is just coming back up this pipe for somewhere to go. I am trying to convince them to cut out the p-trap and run the dishwasher drain back to the disposal.

Is it code legal to have it set up the way that they do right now, with an open pipe coming out of the wall and the dw drain line shoved in it? I am going over after work to snake it, draino it, flush it, whatever I have to do to open it. I don't like the idea of an open pipe coming out of the wall.

Any suggestions?

Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Coatings Nerd

Is this against code.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service

Last edited by NCpaint1; 03-06-2011 at 07:28 PM.
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #3

Is this against code.

No, discharge needs to be before a trap so gases don't come back through discharge tubing into the dishwasher. Also, some localities require an air gap installed.
Time to replumb.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob22 For This Useful Post:
Branden (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #4

Is this against code.

Bob,
I understand a trap is needed. My concern is a 1.5" pipe opening coming out of the wall behind the dishwasher with a 5/8" discharge hose placed in it which allowed water to spew out of it all over the place behind the dishwasher when the drain backed up.

What do you mean by air gap? I am not a plumber so can you explain this to me.

I think I am going to cut the trap out, make is a straight shot with pipe and furncos and pvc and run the discharge for the dishwasher back to the garbage disposal (the disposal has an inlet for this purpose). Of course I need to get the drain cleared first. Anyone have any tricks other than snaking 50-60 times?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Experienced

Is this against code.

Instead of wondering if its code or not, don't think it is, why not just connect the DW drain line to the connection provided on the disposal unit, and cap the line with the trap.

Mark
plummen (03-05-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

Is this against code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Instead of wondering if its code or not, don't think it is, why not just connect the DW drain line to the connection provided on the disposal unit, and cap the line with the trap.

Mark
Probably because it is easier to convince your in-laws to do something if you can tell them it isn't code.

IMO - it's time to call a plumber. Some times it just isn't worth it to do this sort of favor for your in-laws.
Branden (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #7

Is this against code.

See air gap info:
http://forum.doityourself.com/archiv.../t-207527.html

I agree, it would be best to run it to the tailpiece discharge under the sink as mentioned earlier. A plumber is always a great option if finances permit.

Picture of an air gap:
http://www.faucetdirect.com/air-gap/c14
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob22 For This Useful Post:
Branden (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #8

Is this against code.

I don't see the need to call a plumber just yet. I've dealt with bigger issues. As long as I can get the clog out, I should be home free. I am thinking that it is not too far down the line. it goes about 4 feet with limited slope and then 90s straight down in the wall, through the basement and into the ground. I am hoping that the clog is before it hits that 90 or at that 90. I feel like it would be hard for a clog to form on a straight vertical and after the vertical it has to hit the main stack line pretty quickly since they run pretty close to each other.

I am going to run the discharge back to the disposal and remove the p-trap that was put in specifically for the dishwasher and cap that pipe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Branden For This Useful Post:
Jackofall1 (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #9

Is this against code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branden View Post
I don't see the need to call a plumber just yet. I've dealt with bigger issues. As long as I can get the clog out, I should be home free. I am thinking that it is not too far down the line. it goes about 4 feet with limited slope and then 90s straight down in the wall, through the basement and into the ground. I am hoping that the clog is before it hits that 90 or at that 90. I feel like it would be hard for a clog to form on a straight vertical and after the vertical it has to hit the main stack line pretty quickly since they run pretty close to each other.

I am going to run the discharge back to the disposal and remove the p-trap that was put in specifically for the dishwasher and cap that pipe.
"Do not forget the airgap"
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #10

Is this against code.

The best connection for a dishwasher drain hose is the port specifically for it on a sink disposer unit. Otherwise the end of the drain hose must fit loosely into wherever you hook it up to. The draining pump on a dishwasher is meant to only push the water as far as the end of the hose that came with the dishwasher and from that point on it has to be gravity fed.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #11
DIY staff

Is this against code.

AllanJ--Believe it or not--attaching a dishwasher drain to a garbage disposer violates code in the counties where I work.

The discharge must use a tail piece adapter here.---This is one reason I like to see a location in every ones profile.
Leah Frances (03-04-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #12

Is this against code.

Since so many people replied, I thought I'd fill you in on the results..

Went over yesterday after work. Had a snake on a drill. Took apart the P-trap under the sink and started snaking from there. Got to the point where we could hear the snake in the 2" cast iron pipe coming down the basement wall. Went in and out with the snake for what seemed like 1000 times and thought I got the drain opened. Hooked back up the P-trap and dumped a 5 gallon bucket in the sink. At first is looked like i busted through, but it turned out that I didn't. wend downstairs to the 2" cast iron pipe and cut out a 2 foot section. Ended up being right over the clog. I snaked it a ton and ran a hose down it. was draining, but not fast enough. Snaked it a ton more and finally opened it all up. I know a lot of people aren't gonna like this, but I dumped some drain opener down it too then flushed everything out. Used 2 furncos and pvc to patch up the 2 ft section I took out.

Cut out the ptrap that was in the wall for the dishwasher and capped it. Talked to a plumber who told me that an air gap wasnt needed here. He told me to loop the drain hose to the uppermost point in cabinet and secure it, which I did and ran it into the nipple on the garbage disposal. Done.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #13

Is this against code.

nicely done!
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
Master of none

Is this against code.

Just curious but just in case I need to know How did you cut the cast iron pipe?. I thought that a hacksaw would not do the job!

Last edited by handy andy; 03-06-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: incomplete!!
handy andy is offline   Reply With Quote