Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #1

Share |

Advice on replacing a Sharkbite that fixed a leaking soldered joint...

Basically, I noticed water dripping from a light fixture over my kitchen sink the other night. I opened the drywall and I noticed a decent leak coming from a soldered joint on the copper piping. So like any DIYer, I turned off the water, power and proceeded to fix it myself. Now I'm second guessing myself and think I should hire a plumber to remove the Sharkbite and resolder the copper pipe. As you can see from the pictures, the leak is at a really awkward location with close proximity to a light fixture and joists. As a first-timer on the board, anyone have any suggestions?

I have to assume that the kitchen cabinets would need to be removed due to the location?

As the house is a two-story, do you think the plumber would attempt the resolder by removing the floor panel on the second floor?...

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on replacing a Sharkbite that fixed a leaking soldered joint...-20140312_195646.jpg   Advice on replacing a Sharkbite that fixed a leaking soldered joint...-20140312_195738.jpg   Advice on replacing a Sharkbite that fixed a leaking soldered joint...-20140312_195727.jpg   Advice on replacing a Sharkbite that fixed a leaking soldered joint...-20140313_210153.jpg  

The Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #2

Well, first, I'm not a fan of any kind of slip in copper pipe fitting. If it's copper, I would solder it, but that's how I was raised, my dad is a plumber and that's how he does it.

But, saying that, and seeing the pics of where this is at, it's not going to be fun for anyone to solder that area. It's close to lots of wood, and in a really tight area. Personally, if the sharkbite isn't leaking, and seems secure, I think I would leave it. I know lots of people that really trust them and believe in them. Worst case, you get dripping again, and have to have someone come in and tear things out, but from what I hear, the sharkbite are a pretty solid line.

taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taylorjm For This Useful Post:
jmon (03-13-2014), SHR Plumber (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #3

Leave it in place. You slid the Sharkbite all the way on to the the copper at the end with the line on the Sharkbite fitting right? Congratulations, you fixed it. I do not see any point in you doing anything different at this point. Quit second guessing yourself, repair the ceiling and do not worry about the repair.
SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SHR Plumber For This Useful Post:
jmon (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #4

Access panel?
broox is offline   Reply With Quote