Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #1

Share |

Advice on Replacing Rusted Bath Undermount Style Sink

Hello All

I have a 30 year old 16" round undermount style bathroom sink that is rusting thru the basin from below. There's no help, it's time for a new sink

Here's my problem

My style sink seems to be out of production. I wanted to use the same style / type for easier replacement. The hole in the marble counter top is 16.5" diameter and the sink is attached from underneath with 4 clips.

Here is the hard part, the 3 holes for the sink fixture are part of the sink itself, not cut into the counter top. The 3 sink holes seem to be the standard 4" spacing for a fixture attachment.

I have looked on line at under mount sinks and don't see any with my style. I looked at Home Depot & Lowes in person with out luck. When I described my sink to the kid at Home Depot he said his grandmother has a sink like that at her place....thanks kid....

Problem # 2

Using a drop in style sink instead of a under mount style. None of the drop in style sinks I have seen so far will fit in a 16.5" round hole. The counter top is marble and I have never cut marble before

My first post, can I attach pictures here as well ?

THX

MD

PS Having a terrible computer day with dig camera. XP is not seeing the USB plug in, driver issue
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on Replacing Rusted Bath Undermount Style Sink-sink-picture-001.jpg   Advice on Replacing Rusted Bath Undermount Style Sink-sink-picture-003.jpg   Advice on Replacing Rusted Bath Undermount Style Sink-sink-picture-004.jpg  

Last edited by mdonovan; 02-14-2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: added the Home Depot
mdonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #2

a pic would be great

Old 02-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
Newbie Bill

Yeah, please load up some pictures.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #4

This is my fist time here, so I'm learning as I go. It wasn't easy to get the pictures thru.

As you can see, the faucet fixture is part of the under mount sink style and not drilled into the marble counter top

The 3 holes for the fixture appear to be 4" apart type

Has anybody seen this type sink available now ? All the under mount I can find do not include the fixture holes

The size of the hole needed for a newer drop in type sink seems to be bigger than my 16.5" cutout. I've never cut a marble counter top, and especially a round cut at that

THX

MD
Old 02-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #5

have you tried talking to a plumbing supply house to see if they inventory something like this? that sink doesnt look like it was made for that hole either, looks like a dropin mounted under counter style
Old 02-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
Newbie Bill

I'm not a plumber, but it almost looks to me like it is a regular top mount sink undermounted.

Is part of those little soap holders on either side of the taps under the counter?

Great job on the photos by the way.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #7

As you can see from the bottom side of the sink, it seems to be a under mount style ( round sink ) with 4 clips

The usual plumbing lines are attached, no problem there

I have not been to a plumbing supply store yet, I started with Home Depot / Lowe's / etc...

The sink is rusting from the bottom side pretty good.

Has anybody seen a sink like this before ( see above pic's ) that was not in your grandmother's house ? The kid at HD mentioned this to me

THX

MD
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on Replacing Rusted Bath Undermount Style Sink-sink-picture-013.jpg   Advice on Replacing Rusted Bath Undermount Style Sink-sink-picture-014.jpg   Advice on Replacing Rusted Bath Undermount Style Sink-sink-picture-015.jpg  
Old 02-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #8

Can't tell from website but might this drop-in work from HD:
http://www.homedepot.com/Whites/Bath...atalogId=10053

I would think you could find a drop-in (metal) one that you could undermount like the current one; might take a bit of shopping with a tape measure.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #9

Yeah, I saw the one you mentioned at HD

It's a top mount style and I need a to cut a bigger hole in the marble countertop for it to fit correctly ( including the 3 holes for the water and stopper ) I've never cut marble, let alone try for a round hole

I may need to go pro on this one.

THX again Bob

MD
Old 09-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #10

Mdonovan:

I am experiencing exactly what you are describing! I've gone one step further and looked into replacing the countertop with built in basin, but my counter is not a standard size at 55" wide, 22" deep. I'd love to hear what you figured out. I have the same sink, same rusted out issue. In a pinch!
astrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #11

Did you find an exact replacement sink or did you take another route. Please update!
redlightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #12

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...rt=Top+Sellers

Bunch here
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
Bill Kearney

Start by figuring out when it was installed and if the houses are all part of a the same style in the area. That'll clue you in to possible sources for a replacement. You might find luck with local salvage having one like it. Or a message out to your neighbors might drum up some answers, or even someone with one left over from their renovation.

A top-mounted one dropped into that hole would likely be your simplest solution. The hole doesn't have to be 'pretty' for a drop-in. Marble is easy enough to cut with a high-speed angle grinder (and they're relatively inexpensive to purchase).

I'd start with talking to a local plumbing supply place, one with a decent showroom or design services. It's possible they could hunt-up a replacement that would fit without much trouble. It would probably help to have the sink out and accurate measurements made of the hole.

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote