Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #1

Share |

Advice on putting vinyl and installing a new toilet on an old pipe

We'll be putting in new vinyl flooring but here's what it looks like with the subfloor leveled (very hold house) and the pipe that looks like some sort cast iron (it's very soft on the edge, almost as soft as trying to bend a spoon) and is 4" inside diameter and the outside is around 5".

Do I need to grind the top off to be fairly level with the subfloor plus the vinyl? And what do I exactly need to make this happen with a new toilet using the wax ring that comes with it? I've been reading through this site and others all day and just need some advice from the experts. Just not sure what kind of kit I need before trying to install the new toilet.

This pipe goes 90 back towards the wall.

pknipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknipper View Post
We'll be putting in new vinyl flooring but here's what it looks like with the subfloor leveled (very hold house) and the pipe that looks like some sort cast iron (it's very soft on the edge, almost as soft as trying to bend a spoon) and is 4" inside diameter and the outside is around 5".

Do I need to grind the top off to be fairly level with the subfloor plus the vinyl? And what do I exactly need to make this happen with a new toilet using the wax ring that comes with it? I've been reading through this site and others all day and just need some advice from the experts. Just not sure what kind of kit I need before trying to install the new toilet.

This pipe goes 90 back towards the wall.

that is old lead pipe...should be replaced if you can get to it...if not use a repair flange that will insert into pipe with rubber gaskets and anchor to floor..ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #3

Your also trying to use CDX as a subfloor, it's full of voids in the cord and knots on the face of it.
Not favorite. If it was mine I would at least fill the exposed knots and go over the whole thing with sanded subfloor rated 3/8 plywood, making sure the seams do not line up with the seams below and do not nail it into the joist, no glue.
It will need to be attached every 4" on the edges, 6 to 8" in the field, all nails must be at least even with the surface, slightly below is better. All nails and seams get floor leveler. Amy flaws are going to show through the linolium.

All that old drain pipe should have beem replaced with PVC while the floor was out. At some point all that old steel drain and supply lines will leak.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote