Advice For Adding Toilet Flange. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Advice for adding toilet flange.

The toilet in our kid's bathroom was swinging side to side if you bumped it hard with a knee. I checked the bolts, only to find that there were no nuts on the toilet, just those plastic nut/cap holder jobbies. Took those off and went to put brass nuts on where one side tighted down fine, but the other told me very quick that the bolt felt broken. We decided to pull the toilet to replace the bolts. Lo and behold when the toiled was pulled there was no flange to be seen, just a pair of bolts used for wood floors inserted into the concrete slab with mollies. The mollie on the one side had fell apart and pulled out. The floor is ceramic tiled, with a square section left out around the cast iron pipe to a depth of about 1/4 - 3/8" from the top of the tile to the concrete slab. The drain pipe is about 1/8" below the floor surface and more to one side (front of the toilet). I've attached a drawing to maybe explain better.

For now I replaced the mollie and reinserted a new bolt. We put a flanged extra-thick wax ring down around the pipe, but at the front it had to sit partially up on the tile due to room. Reseated the toiled, it was up off the floor we guessed about 1/4-3/8" before compression of the wax, and tightened it down. Well, it doesn't move now, but the one bolt that was pulling out started again so I just stopped at that point. Doesn't seem to obviously leak yet, but the water valve was leaking a bit while I ran to HD to get a new supply line and it went under the toilet so the grout still looks a bit wet right past the edge of the bowl base. I'll need to get that dried out to be sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does leak sometime.

We (or a pro) plan on replacing that toilet (and our other one which I will assume is mounted exactly like it) down the road and was wondering what would be the best way to fix this mess. I know virtually nothing about plumbing, but this was obviously not the way to go about things. Unfortunately we needed the toilet back in commission, so we just tried to put it back the way it was for now.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Advertisement

Blooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,610

you want something like this 4" flange. push it into the pipe and anchor it to the floor. Then set the toilet as normal. Try to find a flange with as low of a profile as possible. If the flange is too thick, it may not allow the toilet to sit down on the floor, causing it to rock.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
you want something like this 4" flange. push it into the pipe and anchor it to the floor. Then set the toilet as normal. Try to find a flange with as low of a profile as possible. If the flange is too thick, it may not allow the toilet to sit down on the floor, causing it to rock.
Thanks! Would it be a good idea to fill in part of the gap around the pipe (eg. the corners) for more support of the flange? It's a good 6 x 6" square around the pipe, maybe even a little bigger than that as I didn't measure it at the time.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,610

There's an ongoing debate here about what elevation to set a flange- either on top the finished floor or flush with the finished floor(anchored to the subfloor). The key is to have the flange level and mounted secure on a solid surface for either method. If the flange is not anchored, it will pull up as the toilet bolts are tightened and/or the toilet will rock and twist- breaking the bowl wax seal.
ben's plumbing (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 552

if you notice in picture there are holes in flange for screws that should be screwed to floor if in concrete 1/4 inch diameter tapcons would be my choice

also before buying that repair flange pull toilet measure inside diameter of pipe to get correct size and to make sure there is not a bend in pipe that might not let seal on repair flange seal
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #6

also if using stainless steel flange i recomend these toilet mounting bolts so they do not spin while turning nut i have seen them here at lowes just different brand

http://www.siouxchief.com/Specialtie...-Perfect.VGC48
Old 02-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

So that whole square is just open, and the toilet was sitting on it? How was it being supported? Seems like you would have been able to see the subfloor around the narrower edges of the toilet....

Also, I second that plastic flange insert, just put in one myself. Don't get the re-inforced wax ring, it won't fit. Just the standard wax one will work. I have mine flush with the floor (the metal sits right on top of the tile) and with a standard thickness wax ring, my toilet fits exactly on top, no wiggle, no shims. Some drains you will find are recessed in the floor, and that's where you need the fatty wax rings....
kerronelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #8

kerronelm postee states it is on concrete so no subfloor and it is commonly seen that tile will just be cut square around pipe but covered by toilet
Old 02-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydevries View Post
kerronelm postee states it is on concrete so no subfloor and it is commonly seen that tile will just be cut square around pipe but covered by toilet
Yep. Toilet sits level on tile with no rocking. There would be about a 1/8" gap between the top of the pipe and the bottom of the toilet horn. We used the thicker wax ring because there was right at 1" between the bottom of the square "hole" in the floor tile and the bottom of the toilet (where the horn first starts to come down". Figured a regular ring wouldn't have even compressed.

Last edited by Blooze; 02-21-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #10

good choice on wax ring i like to use the ones that have a horn on them

just make sure if you use one that is also reinforced that you have the height

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...yword=wax+ring
Old 02-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydevries View Post
good choice on wax ring i like to use the ones that have a horn on them

just make sure if you use one that is also reinforced that you have the height

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...yword=wax+ring
We used the thicker wax ring with the horn, but it wasn't one of the reinforced ones. We used the oatey version of this one:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_334955-320-7...ing&facetInfo=
Old 02-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #12

yup that is the same one i use almost always

Advertisement