Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

adding yard hydrants and sprinklers from the water meter

We have finally decided enough with the hoses, it's time to install some yard hydrants. I am planning on tapping off the water supply to the house and was actually considering doing it in the water meter box. My 2 main questions are, what type of piping do I have and what type/size should I use.
1. The piping that is in the meter pit and where it comes into the house is bright blue plastic and is about 1 1/2" or 2". Is this PEX or is that not enough info to know.
2. What is the most economical type of pipe to run underground? I was originally only considering 20' sticks of schd 40 PVC, but then I thought a continuous roll of PEX might be better.
3. What size should I use? I plan on running a main line that is approx 300' long. Off of that, I want 3 yard hydrants on legs that are approx 25' long. Next to one of those hydrants I am planning to leave a capped pipe so I can come back in later and add a sprinkler system for the back yard.
4. Anything else I should think about?

shocknawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

adding yard hydrants and sprinklers from the water meter

I would not do work inside the water meter box unless the water company specifically allows that. I would be prepared to dig a pit next to the water meter box.

I would use at least 1-1/2 inch pipe for lower flow resistance and more pressure at the far end to be able to drive more sprinkers simultaneously.

shocknawe (05-09-2011)