Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #1

Share |

Adding water spigit

Currently, I have only one water spigit, which is located on the back of the house. I'm at the point where I hate dragging the hose all the way around the house. I would like to add a spigit to the front side of my home. Is this a project for a diy'fer, or is this a job for a professional plumber? House is on a slab (no basement). Any advice?

mablack1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Adding water spigit

diy job ?? Sure.. Locate your water lines, cut, install T, add ball valve run line for spigot, install spigot, solder & your done

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #3

Adding water spigit

Ok, sounds like you have done this before. I located the lines, but the rest is where the problem starts. The line I found is in my utility room, and from there i'm not sure where they go. I understand having a basement would make this job 10 times easier.
mablack1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #4

Adding water spigit

It's not a DIY job. Get a plumber. you need to find the closest cold water line to the location you want the new hose bibb and figure out how to get from that pipe to the new hose bibb.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #5

Adding water spigit

Being a DIY project is hard to say since we are not there to see what, exactly, you have. I have a brick home with a crawl space. My outside faucets "could" have been run from the water lines under the house and through the walls. They were not. All three of my silcocks are run from above floor level and from 1/2" water supply lines from various sinks. If you have a water line under a sink, on the side of the house you want to add the faucet to, you could so the same thing. My water supply lines are coming up through the floor, and not hidden in walls. This can make a big difference when trying to tie into the lines. I think you may need to get a Plumber out, even if it is only to find what your options are.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #6

Adding water spigit

Yeah, a slab makes it harder

Easiest method is to add a 2nd shut-off & go straight outside from the location oif the pipes

Is your utility room at the back of the house?
Is there a garage on one side, any water lines near that?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
HVAC / Plumbing

Adding water spigit

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber Jim View Post
It's not a DIY job. Get a plumber. you need to find the closest cold water line to the location you want the new hose bibb and figure out how to get from that pipe to the new hose bibb.

I respectfully dissagree,, There are alot of jobs that are DIY.. It depends entirely on the persons skills. Given a little knowledge some people can DIY & some can't.. Just depends on the skill of the DIY'ER

Last edited by kenmac; 04-12-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
HVAC / Plumbing

Adding water spigit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mablack1970 View Post
Ok, sounds like you have done this before. I located the lines, but the rest is where the problem starts. The line I found is in my utility room, and from there i'm not sure where they go. I understand having a basement would make this job 10 times easier.

While I have no idea where your utility room is in conjunction to where you want to locate the spigot. You can tap into the line there, Drill a hole in outside wall & run the line under ground to where you want to locate the spigot. Just depends on how much work you are willing or cromfortable / doing
Old 04-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #9

Adding water spigit

It might be easier to find your water main outside of your house and cut in a tee there and run your half inch line to where you want it, 90 up, insulate the line and anchor to your house, not the most professional way of doing it but alot easier and less headaches, but it all depends on where you leave, the colder it is the deeper the main is going to be in the dirt.
zosoplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Adding water spigit

Sometimes one of the hardest parts of any project is deciding how to go about it. On a slab house it may be easiest to run the lines underground to the location were you want it located. The other option that was already stated was tapping into a fixture if you have one located on the wall were you want the spigot located. The problem with this is the smaller line that is usually run to an individual fixture 1/2" verse 3/4".

If you are comfortable cutting into your water line I say give it a try. What is the worst that can happen (you have to call a plumber to fix your mistake and you are without water for a little while). You may want to consider PEX as it is very DIY friendly.

edit; if you live in a cold climate you will have to make provisions to blow the line out for the winter, if you bury it outside.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be

Last edited by brokenknee; 04-05-2009 at 07:48 PM.
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #11

Adding water spigit

A variation of the outside line,,,is to install a hydrant looking thing someplace like behind a bush,,if your view picky. THAT shuts off 4-5-6 feet in the ground and drains back,therefore not freezing,generally ,,,if you remember to remove the hose and NOT use much during winter time. They would NOT work here since the water line comes inside the house and THEN the water meter,,hence the water supplier isnt going to allow an unmetered tap in beforehand!!

Otherwise the key ingredient is to have a bath,kitch,laundry area someplace you can live with as an outside location,,,ANY place you have water in the inside,you can run to the outside!!

unless you live in such a warm climate you can use your attic space as a run way!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:15 AM   #12

Adding water spigit

you might consider a yard hydrant rather than a hose bibb that way you don't have to mess with drilling holes in your house and taking a chance of hitting electical wires or plumbing pipes. That is what i use here at my home.
http://bakermonitor.com/domestic_new...FQJ-xgodARdbSg I would recommend using a pro to do this though.

al's sewer is offline   Reply With Quote