Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #1

Share |

Adding a washer drain to main drain stack....

Hi Guys.....

The wife and i decided we would like to move our washer downstairs in the basement. We would like to move it to the left of the main drain stack.

The problem i am having is i am not to sure how to connect the drain & vent. I wanted to tap into existing cleanout but its a 3.5'' ABS and i can't seem to find anything that will fit.

Of course i would of readded a cleanout if it would of worked...so thats out of the question.

Then i thought of cutting the main stack but the height i would have to cut is over 18'' from the floor, cause there is the cleanout and a vent / drain that goes in the garage for a sink.

So cutting all above that to add a washer would be over 18'' from the floor and i am afraid it would be to high for the washer to drain properly ??
Maybe cut below and add some flexible couplings with band clamps or try saving the existing tube and break the existing adapter?

Any ideas.....how i can add a washer drain line ??? How would you guys do it ?

I would hate to dig up the floor as i don't want to spend big bucks.

I added a pic to give you guys a better idea of what i am up against.

Thanks in advance !
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a washer drain to main drain stack....-attachment.jpg  

phantomvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #2

One method is to cut above the cleanout or 90 and remove wye for the sink. Then use a ram bit like this one to clean the pipe out of the existing clean out. Add a 3x2 double wye to reconnect the sink and washer.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice , this is sort of what i had in mind.

Do i add a double wye or a double sanitary tee ?

I guess also to reattach the 3" ABS i should use a Fernco as it probably won't give enough to glue a coupling in.

Last edited by phantomvs; 07-19-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Since we dis not want to cut up our basement floor, I just ran a ten foot piece of 1 1/2 pvc to the floor drain, then did up the P-trap and wash tub as normal. Before that, was a inch hose with a air allowance trap, connected to the old washer that came with the house.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #5

how for to the left from main stack are you planning on running pipe to wash machine? just unscrew clean out screw in a male fitting glue a 45 street then a 3 inch wye turned up. glue new clean out on the wye then continue 3" horizontal using hanger a maximum every 4' at a 1/4" per 1' fall. then depending on how far away pipe is from main stack from there on what to do. either place 3 " trap with a min. of 18 stand pipe.or a t turned reduced to 2" up to use an air admittance valve (aav) then trap with 18" stand pipe.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&s...9,r:1,s:0,i:79
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydevries View Post
how for to the left from main stack are you planning on running pipe to wash machine? just unscrew clean out screw in a male fitting glue a 45 street then a 3 inch wye turned up. glue new clean out on the wye then continue 3" horizontal using hanger a maximum every 4' at a 1/4" per 1' fall. then depending on how far away pipe is from main
The new location is about 12 feet from the main drain .

I tryed finding an adapter for the cleanout but its a 3 1/2" threaded cap. There are no adapters for that...atleast i didn't find any.