Adding A Standpipe For My Washer - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Adding a standpipe for my washer

My washer currently drains into my utility sink, which has an 1.25" drain. Based on where it goes into the wall, the sink then seems to drain into the main 3-4" drain for the house along with the bathrooms/kitchen and basement floor drain.

I've found that since getting a new washer a few months ago, I've started to see overflows of the sink because it can't drain fast enough/lint clogging the drain/etc. I've tried using lint traps on the end of the hose to try to at least block the lint, but they fill so quickly that it's not really a feasible long-term solution.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to add some sort of better drainage/standpipe for the washer. I know that code would require a 2" or larger standpipe dedicated for the washer, but I'm not sure where that would/should get tied in.

Thanks,

Mike

Advertisement

tigereye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Adding a standpipe for my washer

Whereas a longer standpipe (2") might help keep things from overflowing onto the floor, it won't solve the downstream problems that the lint definately creates. If possible, drop a dedicated 2" drain down and tie in downstream of the kitchen, etc.

I had such problems with the exact same thing that you're facing that I finally started draining my washer into the laundry room slop sink and used a large sheet of plastic mesh window screen as a lint filter. That was a rigged fix, but it solved the issue until I got a washer that has a good lint filter. Before that, the drain was full of lint that was the consistency of mashed potatoes. The snake would go right through it but it wouldn't flow downstream. I started using Roebic main line bacterial cleaner and it has worked great for me.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote