Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #1

Share |

Adding spigot with a quick tap

You know how they have that little quick connect tap thingie for refrigerator ice makers? Do they make something like that for a little spigot?

I just need a low pressure spigot to get a little bit of water from occasionally. I want to tap into a 3/4" line that I can't shutoff. I know this isn't the optimal way, but it will work perfectly for me.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

There are larger taps like what you referred to for refrigerators. Not a spigot exactly, but if you just want to have access to the water, you might could use a water supply cutoff like for supply line at sink, toilet, etc. on a larger tap.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Those saddle valves that they sell are pretty neat for something with a very low flow rate.....

That being said we do not use them. What we have learned about copper piping is that turbulence in the water DESTROYS IT. What happens when you make a hole in it with a drill bit? You're creating a huge dent/burr on the inside of the pipe which is going to cause turbulence.

No good at soldering?

If you need a plumber, save yourself a little $$$ by making the cut where you want the tee and draining the lines out yourself. That much time less that he is sitting around waiting for it to drain before he can solder.

OR you can try slapping in a sharkbite tee.... not optimal in a copper system, but they work great for mobile home repairs.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
Don't know it all, yet!

Quote:
What we have learned about copper piping is that turbulence in the water DESTROYS IT
Quote:
I want to tap into a 3/4" line
I must have missed where the pipe was identified as copper. Maybe it is PVC/CPVC. Our local water dept used one on a three inch line as the supply for our shop.

Last edited by downunder; 05-04-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Military Mom of 4

Shrute - I installed a regular spigot off of our main water line without much drama.
We have cpvc under the house - so I used a Tee to branch off, drilled a hole in the brick, strung through a copper nipple, and attached the plumbing and spigot - caulked it in place - tada.

Took me about an hour or so but it's fully functional and I have no qualms with my work seeing as how I didn't cut corners or try to get it done faster.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #6

i have no idea where the op is trying to get to as a finished product. little help here shrute
Old 05-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #7

Yes, it's 3/4" copper. The end result doesn't really matter, I just need a little a way to tap the line without shutting it down, like you would for a fridge hookup.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I must have missed where the pipe was identified as copper. Maybe it is PVC/CPVC. Our local water dept used one on a three inch line as the supply for our shop.
I am pretty sure those mini saddle valves you buy at the hardware store aren't approved for use on plastic piping, is why the assumption was made.

Besides, if it was plastic, how hard would it be to cut in a tee?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #9
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrute View Post
Yes, it's 3/4" copper. The end result doesn't really matter, I just need a little a way to tap the line without shutting it down, like you would for a fridge hookup.
Why can't you shut it down?

Those saddles for refrigerator lines are only 1/4" I'm not sure what sizes you can get, but you definitely want a 1/2" one at least.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Why can't you shut it down?
Because it is completely unnecessary to schedule a shutdown and drain hundreds of feet of water lines and do the work involved with sweating in a new fitting for the trickle of water that I need.

Any plumbers here have a solution to the original post?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
Don't know it all, yet!

Here's one item to consider:
14. Saddle Valve (our Catalog # Saddle-Kit) – see photo – saddle valve with bracket and piercing mechanism to clamp into cold water pipe up to one-inch diameter (PVC, copper and brass pipes only, not for braided hose; for iron pipe, you need to drill a hole); built-in connector of High Pressure Hose screws onto this Saddle Valve (no adapter needed); MUST order High Pressure Hose with this item – $13
http://www.greensmoothie.com/pic-water.html

Took me about 90 seconds to Google this on "3/4 inch saddle valve." This is for an irrigation system but I presume that the water line doesn't care what it supplies.

Should I spend five minutes more finding others?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #12
Don't know it all, yet!

I might as well. Here's three others that I found with a brief application copied.

Blazing Saddle™
The Leader in Self-Tapping Fittings.
"Save time and fittings with the leader in Self-Tapping Fittings."
-- Landscape Contractor Magazine (Product Focus; May 2002).
  • 10 SECONDS to tap polyethylene or PVC pipe
  • EASIEST way to install a sprinkler head
  • SHAVE HOURS off your installation
For PVC
BS 5PVC 3/4" x 1/2" FPT
BS 6PVC 3/4" x 3/4" FPT
BS 7PVC 1" x 1/2" FPT
BS 8PVC 1" x 3/4" FPT

Product Information

For installing automatic ice maker kits on refrigerators. Kit includes angle needle valve designed to control accurate water flow into evaporative cooler units, plus a saddle clamp that permits installation in water pipe nearest humidifier unit. Furnished complete with copper tube insert and gasket. Cadmium plated clamps and bolts. Saddle clamp made to fit 3/8 inch , 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch .

Other products by Anderson Metal or in Needle Valves
  • <LI class=copyHeading>Nonself-Piercing
  • Installed on 1/2 or 3/4" galvanized water pipe by drilling 1/4" hole in pipe, installing pilot tube, and tightening.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Should I spend five minutes more finding others?
Wow, you're almost as smug as tpolk.

I was looking for the entire system, a simple way to interconnect a spigot with the tap.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #14
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrute View Post
Because it is completely unnecessary to schedule a shutdown and drain hundreds of feet of water lines and do the work involved with sweating in a new fitting for the trickle of water that I need.
So then shut it down, and use a sharkbite so you don't have to drain all the lines to sweat a fitting? Sharkbite will take you 2-3 minutes, put a valve on the Tee branch, shut it off, turn water back on, continue working on your project.

Or use the saddle. Just get ready to shut down the water and drain all the lines to make repairs due to turbulence in the lines.