Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #1

Share |

Adding a solar heater - did my installer do the piping correct?

See the attached photo seems like the temperature gauge should be on the hot water piping that goes to the house from the water tank

Adding a solar heater - did my installer do the piping correct?-image-458508789.jpg

. Can anyone confirm? The right side is the cold water feed line.

hawaiiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:53 AM   #2

Oh below the temp gauge is mixing valve.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Master Plumber

permitted? what did the inspectors say.

i installed hundreds of those thing back in the 80 when the government was giving large credits for having them installed. code may have changed sense then. but these systems are relatively simple water heater has its cold coming in hot going out p and t of course and the feeds to the panel they should pull and return from the bottom of the tank via dip tubes or dual tube at the bottom of the tank heat traps on the tank, ball valves on lines and the gauge should be on the return line from the collector (panel on the roof). on the roof you should have a freeze valve / an air bleed off valve / and a pressure relief valve / along with the sensor for the control module one on the panel one at the bottom of the tank and of course the circulation pump. mixing valve ?? you should have paper work from the tank if its not a converted standard water heater and the solar panel if you did'int get them ask for them they may show installation recommendations. also if not working or installed properly these systems can actually cost you in operating VS saving.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #4

My installation was just recent and hence the inspection from the county has yet to be performed. The piping to and from the solar collector panels are configured as you stated. Do we air relief valves at the panel, etc. what I'm concerned is the location of the temperature gauge. As you said, it should be on the piping from the solar panels but its not.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #5

Here's a head a scratching situation that also confused my installers. On the old heater, the assumed cold water pipe from the house was entering into the side of the tank that is labeled "hot" and the assumed hot water piping to the house (the one with a pressure relief valve) was connected to the side of the tank with the label "cold". With the new tank, the installers saw this oddity and did it supposedly correct. However we could not detect hot water from the hot water side of the house faucet. Installer tried to look at the dip tubes for fault but nothing was found. They end up hooking the piping as the old tank.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #6

Unless the gauge has a function other than visual I don't see any value of it being in either location .
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #7

Anyone know why I'm getting hot water with the reversed piping? Still scratching my head.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
Master Plumber

maybe and i mean just maybe lets say when they piped in the house the plumber instead of roughing the cold on the right inverted his rough, in some of the older heaters you could pull the dip tube out of the cold side and drop it into the hot side. that would be your water coming in now on the hot side now you have 2 openings at the top of the tank ether one could be used for the hot out or P&t seen it done before. however your plumber could have traced the flows easily. at the end of the day its very simple water comes in to a tank feeds the bottom via dip tube or straight connect (bottom feed) and water exits at the top.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #9

I thought also that with the new tank, after no success, the installers moved the dip tube on the port that was labeled cold to the one labeled hot. Will confirm with them.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #10

I would think it would not hurt the tank if the piping was reversed. Called manufacturer and they said however it will void the six year warranty as its a deviation from the manufacturer instructions