Adding Shower Base - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

adding shower base

I have a pre fabricated shower base - made from a composite. It's very solid, so flex or bounce is not an issue. The edges are on level with the bottom (that's to say if I put down more concrete it will raise the edges of the shower base above the finished slab. My questions are these. 1) This shower base probably weighs about 125lbs. Do I need to put any adhesive on the bottom to adhere to the slab or is the weight good enough due to the fact I will later tile around the edges? 2) The shower base has a flange edge that is about 1' high and a 1/4 inch thick. I know typically you drop the backerboard or greenboard in front of this flange. The problem is this creates a 1/4 inch gap between the board and the framing. Do I put green backerboard on top of the flange and than drop backerboard down they way it should be? Probably not very clear on this. I've included a picture of the flange. It's resting against a wall and this flange runs around 3 sides. It's a left side drain.
Attached Thumbnails
adding shower base-p8070801.jpg  

Advertisement

kerbongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

adding shower base

That base can be installed with a thin layer of thinset--Just like setting a 125 pound tile.

The 1/2 inch backer board ,for the wall ,rests on top of that flange---not in front of it.

Fill the gap with thinset as you tile---If you are water proofing the backer board with a liquid paint on membrane--then you will fill that gap with thinset before you paint on the water proofing.--Mike--

Advertisement

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

adding shower base

Mike,
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your time. Can you elaborate on a few things I was unaware of....? Should I put on the liquid paint on membrane in your opinion? What is 125 pound tile? Sorry, no real knowledge of plumbing or tile work as of yet. Thanks for your time, I sincerely appreciate it. Tom
kerbongi is offline   Reply With Quote