Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to debbra52371
Share |
Question

adding a second home to my existing well.

Can anyone give me the pro's and con's of allowing my neighbor to tap into my well.I own both homes,but he is having trouble drawing water from his well.Our houses are a few hundred feet apart.He asked if he could dig a trench and tap into my well.I was given this property by my mom and I'm just getting the hang of all the pros and cons of home owning. (repairs and maintenance costs etc) so I have no clue as to whether this is a good idea or not.There are 4 people living in each home.My home has a shallow well pump (not sure if it make any difference) would tapping into my well raise my electric bill,lower my water pressure, put my well in danger of going dry, or cause my new water pump to go bad...Any advice?

Last edited by debbra52371; 04-10-2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: corrections
debbra52371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Always learning...

I've always had city water and have no experience with wells but I would never do what you're considering. At some point in the future I'm sure your house and their house will be owned by two separate owners - what then?

fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #3

I think he's just trying to get water into his home asap.If,at some point in the future the property was sold to someone else,they could most likely put new point in the ground or run the pipes deeper on the other home to fix the problem.I'm not sure what the problem is back there because there's a new pump in the well house and new pipes were pounded in last summer.After that was done,there still wasnt water in the home.I think,like I said, he's just trying to get the water issue taken care of...or avoid the work of figuring out the problem.I'm just here for advice,and not looking forward to making this decision.lol...Thanks for replying.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Always learning...

Who's paying, you or him?
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #5

He'd have to pay for anything done,of course.I'm not sure I'm going to allow him to tap into my well until I get a few more opinions.I didnt have a good feeling about it in the first place,I'm just trying to figure out the worse case scenarios of IF I do say yes.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #6

Depends on what the recharge rate of the well is, and how deep it is. Worst case scenario is the well goes dry, possibly ruining the pump. I wouldn't do it. While it will cost more, drilling a new well would be a lot faster than your neighbor digging a long trench. My well is 700 feet deep and was drilled in a little more than two days. Consider also that in many places, a house without a reliable water supply can't legally be inhabited.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
debbra52371 (04-14-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
bbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbra52371
]Can anyone give me the pro's and con's of allowing my neighbor to tap into my well.I own both homes
sounds like you would need to get this taken care of. I'd do it the right way and call a reputable well driller in the area and get some sound advice.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #8
Roofmaster

This sounds like a very bad idea to me. I really dislike people that ask for things like this. It is a no win situation, anybody with character would not even ask. If you feel beholding, run a hose and give him/her three weeks to shut off. I do not mean to sound harsh, but these things do not usually turn out well.

"No good deed goes unpunished"

Last edited by jagans; 04-11-2013 at 08:55 AM.
jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
debbra52371 (04-14-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbra52371 View Post
would tapping into my well raise my electric bill
YES

Quote:
lower my water pressure
You could notice a significant pressure drop if you're both trying to use water at the same time.
Quote:
put my well in danger of going dry
Depends on the well and it's recovery rate, but it COULD, and at the same time it may not.

Quote:
or cause my new water pump to go bad...Any advice?
There are a few things that could cause a pump to go out, normal use isn't really one of them, however depending on usage times, your pump COULD experience extended run time which isn't really great for the motor to heat up. Aside from that, you have elevation differences that come into play and depending on what your pressure is now, tapping a line in to your pressure line he may have little to none by the time the water gets there.

There are some scenarios that would work, assuming that the well over there is no good, but only a well driller could answer that for you.

The best situation is to have each one on it's own water source. I've worked on quite a few "community wells" and they are always a pain in the butt when you have to find a leak.
debbra52371 (04-14-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
Roofmaster

Sorry, I missed it in your post.

So you are this neighbors landlord and he/she pays you rent? It would have been nice to know this from the beginning if that is the case.

In the lease, there is a Lease right? you are probably responsible for things like a well pump going bad, are you not?

Running a temporary hose till you fix his well makes sense to me.

I would not like getting scalded whenever your neighbor flushes the toilet.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
Stuck in the 70's

Before we bought this house it used to share a well with the neighbors. Apparently the pressure in our house (the uphill one) was so poor it resulted in an ugly lawsuit.
We now have separate wells.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #12

Contact your local health department if they do wells. How will you split the power and parts if your well equipment fries? Now your cutting the lifespan in half.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #13

Jagans/roofmaster-About me being the landlord,I didnt wanna go into great detail in my post so I kept it short,but yes,I own the property and the homes.I havent rented the house for several months because I thought the pump went bad and I didnt have the time to fool with it.I gave up because I bought a new pump and the water was still at a trickle and then stopped.I bought a new check valve and someone suggested that it might be the 'point' that need replacing.Maybe the well went dry,but I doubt it.Anyway my friend knew there was no water in the home and asked if he could stay there for a bit.He doesnt pay me rent and having him move in was on a 'as is' basis.any repairs would be up to him.He has access to water because I have a faucet on the outside of my home that he uses.at any rate,my son stepped in and broke the news to the guy that it wasn't a good idea.They found someone to help him solve the problem and they're pounding the pipes deeper,but it'll be hit and miss like I said.My son plans on doing all the home repairs this summer when he has time off work.The neighbor just didnt want to wait.Thanks for everyone's advice.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
Roofmaster

Quote:
Jagans/roofmaster-About me being the landlord,I didnt wanna go into great detail in my post so I kept it short,but yes,I own the property and the homes.I havent rented the house for several months because I thought the pump went bad and I didnt have the time to fool with it.I gave up because I bought a new pump and the water was still at a trickle and then stopped.I bought a new check valve and someone suggested that it might be the 'point' that need replacing.Maybe the well went dry,but I doubt it.Anyway my friend knew there was no water in the home and asked if he could stay there for a bit.He doesnt pay me rent and having him move in was on a 'as is' basis.any repairs would be up to him.He has access to water because I have a faucet on the outside of my home that he uses.at any rate,my son stepped in and broke the news to the guy that it wasn't a good idea.They found someone to help him solve the problem and they're pounding the pipes deeper,but it'll be hit and miss like I said.My son plans on doing all the home repairs this summer when he has time off work.The neighbor just didnt want to wait.Thanks for everyone's advice.
You are a very kind person. Hopefully your tenant will help, not hinder, your son. Good luck with it. On the bright side, it is usually better to have a house occupied than empty.

Tags
2 homes one well, advice needed, plumbing