Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #1

Share |

Adding Powder Room.. would like to do it right

Hi Everyone..

As you can see I'm a new poster.though a long time reader.

We just bought a house built in 1960 most everything needs to be updated but my wife wants to start by converting a bedroom into a powder room and a walk in closet.

I would like to try and do this my own self, and need to figure out how much I already have I need to fix before or as I am adding on.

The picture below shows my main drain. The 3" pvc in the picture is a 10' stick which is resting in the approximate starting point of where I would like to put the toilet, the sink would go about 3 feet to the left of the toilet.
The vent in the picture is one of 2 in the house, the other is connected to the kitchen sink which you can see parts of in the lower right side of the picture.

So other than with a plumber what should I consider?
Should I start ripping out what is here before I add on? or just connect to it?
It does not seem like this is vented properly, though we have had no issues.

Any thoughts on where you'd start?

Thanks
Carver

Bonecarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
DIY staff

A little more info---can you post a picture that has the future toilet location and sink?

Perhaps use masking tape--be creative---It will help us to offer you some suggested pipe runs.

Mike--Bed time--see you tomorrow.

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #3

Well as with most plans in my house, these plans have change a little since I posted last night. We decided to change the location of the toilet to the outside wall, hoping it will over all make things easier, and if there is a need for another vent it will be a straight shot up.

here is a crude drawing I did quickly

the Tub, sink and toilet on the right are existing and are connected to the drains shown in the photo.

The new toilet and sink will be about as shown in the drawing. The sink is on the opposite side of the wall from the tub, so they are only a couple of feet from each other. the new toilet, is 10 feet from the existing toilet and pretty much in line with it.

Again the only vent for this end of the house is the one shown in the photo.

If you need more info please let me know and I will take time to do a better layout for you guys.

Thanks
Carver
Bonecarver is offline   Reply With Quote