Adding Half Bath, Stack Vent? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Umm.. U sure thats right?

Rewards Points: 25

adding half bath, stack vent?

Hi all.. i am adding a half bath to my home and just wanted to know a little about the dimensions of pipe i would need to accomplish this... First.. how big does the pipe need to be from the toliet to main? also i am going to tie the sink drain into this. i am aware that both need to be vented... how wide does the vent need to be? ( i am shooting it straight up from the toliet and the sink is going to be within 3-4 feet of the toilet... also i have to turn the drain 90 degrees to get to the main. is this allowed? also what pitch do i need? 1/8" for every foot?

lastly- can someone explain to me how i would run the vent stack thru a load bearing wall? how would i beef up the top and bottom sill so it would not loose any integrity?

any help is appreciated! thanks!

Advertisement

f8lyer8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 712

If your under the IPC which I believe you are, you can put that system on a single vent, depending on the layout of the bathroom, all you would need is one vent for both fixture even a third, pipe size 3 inch toilet to main, remaining branches in 2 inch, including the vent, lav, waste arm 1 inch Within 5 feet of the stack, pitch 1/8 on the 3 and on the 2 inch, you can 90 but I would try to use two 45's and try to increase the sweep as much as possible to make the turn, as for the tie beam, you can avoid messing with it by just using an AAV on the system. If not you may want to consult with a GC on boxing the pipe for the VTR.

Advertisement

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by f8lyer8s View Post
Hi all.. i am adding a half bath to my home and just wanted to know a little about the dimensions of pipe i would need to accomplish this... First.. how big does the pipe need to be from the toliet to main? also i am going to tie the sink drain into this. i am aware that both need to be vented... how wide does the vent need to be? ( i am shooting it straight up from the toliet and the sink is going to be within 3-4 feet of the toilet... also i have to turn the drain 90 degrees to get to the main. is this allowed? also what pitch do i need? 1/8" for every foot?

lastly- can someone explain to me how i would run the vent stack thru a load bearing wall? how would i beef up the top and bottom sill so it would not loose any integrity?

any help is appreciated! thanks!
W.C. requires minimum 3"
W.C. requires a 2" vent
Pipe the lav in 1.5"
Maximum length on lav trap arm is 42" (UPC) so you may have to revent to the WC vent stack
Yes you can use a 90
grade the pipe 1/4"/ft
Drilling the top plate should not affect the bearing wall. Beware when drilling horizontal though
Old 09-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,204

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
W.C. requires minimum 3"
W.C. requires a 2" vent
Pipe the lav in 1.5"
Maximum length on lav trap arm is 42" (UPC) so you may have to revent to the WC vent stack
Yes you can use a 90
grade the pipe 1/4"/ft
Drilling the top plate should not affect the bearing wall. Beware when drilling horizontal though
If the OP is indeed under the IPC, the toilet does not require a separate vent. Nor is there a maximum lavatory trap arm length.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote