Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,014
Question

adding a gas fixture - will the metter support ?

i want to add a gas cook top in my basement. the existing fixtures are a 40 gal water heater and a boiler that heats water for the radiators for the whole house, about 2,600 sq ft including basement, about 6-7 radiators. do not have other metrics on the boiler.

i also do not have any metrics on the meter itself, although i recall seeing a number 75 on it, if that means anything.

i am quite skilled at pipe-fitting and have done gas work, rearranged and refit pipes. i do not have formal training that would have given me the knowledge about calcs and moderating meter size and fixture consumption but will eventually acquire it, for the time being i am picking y'all's brains. to make a long story short, i know the official advice is that this type of work falls outside of the DIY domain but i feel confident branching out a T and fitting a few nipples, as long as you tell me that the meter supply will be sufficient.

i will be home tomorrow evening, i can post some pics and perhaps look for some numbers on the meter/fixtures, if you think it would be useful.

thanks much,

- a -

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

How far will the cook top be from the main gas line coming into the home?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

you can tee off any main supply into a ON DEMAND item is just that...your furnace, hwh and exsisting stove the chances off all 3 running and the added item are not that common.for what the add on would use would not be a major drain on the others even during normal cycles.stoves/ranges are the least compared to a furnace or boiler
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
How far will the cook top be from the main gas line coming into the home?
the line is running right above it, so only maybe 4-5 ft below the tee.

thanks,

- a -
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
I have gas!

You really need to know how many btus the meter will deliver and how much you're using. I went through the same process but I eventually found the specs of the meter online (275k btus). I had the gas company (keyspan) come out and give me a bigger one (425).