Adding Bathroom On Second Floor - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Adding Bathroom on second floor

Hello everybody
I need some reassurance in layout of drain and vent on toilet and bathtub.Because of location of 3" drain in the wall on the first floor I have limited space to run pipes for connecting new fixture and vent.
I attached a skech below.
Please let me know if this connection is ok.
I will really appreciate for some advice.
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Adding Bathroom on second floor-scan002.jpg  

Advertisement

Dan fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

It would be better if you can move the vent to the top of the double tee where the tub drain pipe meets the toilet vent pipe. I'm sure its easier said than done though or you would have done that to begin with.

As you have it now, I think the tub would be siphoned when the toilet is flushed. You don't necessarily need a vent to go to the roof, they make a mechanical vent called a surevent. If you have a local plumbing supply store they will sell it for about $20. Get one and put it on the tub site of the drain. Run it as high as you can in the wall, but not to the roof. A couple feet above the floor is fine, but the higher the better. When there is a siphon action, the surevent will allow air to enter the pipe, but then close immediately to stop sewer gas from coming out of the vent. But still use your vent to the roof since its better than a surevent and you will have a hole in your roof if you don't use it. The surevent is to be used in addition to roof vents when they hard to run like in your case.

As a general rule, keep all fixtures within about 5 feet of a vent. Not sure how far they are from your vent.

I know tubs are 1 1/2", but I switch to 2" ASAP. That way any hair, clog etc. you know is close to the tub drain hole. I try and oversize everything when possible, especially the smaller sized pipes like 1 1/2". I'm not sure if its code but a plumber can tell you, but on my rental properties I have the 1 1/2" coupling to the metal drain from the tub, then I switch to 2" on the downward drop even before the trap. I use a 2" trap too. It has really reduced the number of clogs I run into. In fact, none since I started doing it that way.

Advertisement

jonathan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 258

Also check about the size of your vent.Especially if it is the main or only vent for the house.In my area it must be the same size or larger than the drain pipe due to frost build-up in winter.Might not be a concern where you are.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you to reply my question,
I can not put the vent on top of T because the 3" is not line on the wall but end up under the tub,
the 2' vent after the T end after the tub.In this way I can turn upward 45 degree toward the wall.
All fixtures are within 4' of drain.

Thanks to advice to upgrade to 2" the drain tub, I will definetly do it.
Dan
Dan fireman is offline   Reply With Quote