Adding A Bath To My Attic - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding a bath to my attic

I am finishing my attic space and I would like to add a bathroom. There is a bathroom directly underneath. There is also a big 3" pipe that comes up and goes out the roof. i am assuming this is a vent. My question is can I use that vent for the drainage of the sink, shower and commode?

Advertisement

Harry Homeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I know it used to be done like that all the time but not anymore. Can you give up a few inches in a closet to get access to the main drain? You need to run hot, cold and electric anyway or are you planning on gutting the bath under the attic?

Advertisement

II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

no, the way the bath is under it i can get my hot and cold by just stripping one wall, and it will come up right where i need it. There really is no access to the main drain unless i gut the bath
Harry Homeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

can you give a rough drawing on how the existing bathroom layout is? the problem you might run into is venting from the existing bath. Im not sure on the code but I dont think you can have a drain from the attic into an existing vent. ( wet vent ) So you might have to re route a new vent from that bathroom and either tie into the existing vent above the new attic bath or just have a new roof vent from the old bath.

Not the hardest thing to do, just more work but I could be wrong on this. Sorry, not a plumber.
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote