Add Tub To Existing Bath... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Add tub to existing bath...

I'm thinking about adding a bathtub to my half bathroom. It has also been suggested that I should replace my existing cast iron pipe with pvc and bring it up to code. Attached is a pic of the existing layout with the new bathtub added and vent.

I would like some opinions of the existing layout, since the house was build in the 60's. We are under the 2006 INTERNATIONAL PLUMBING CODE. I mostly concern about the venting. Does the 2nd toilet need to be vented? I'm only seeing two vents on the roof. The 1 1/2 from the existing tub, and the 3" vent. I don't think one of the sinks (on the right) is vented. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Add tub to existing bath...-bathroom-vents.jpg  

Advertisement

blott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,670

Add tub to existing bath...

You are allowed up to 2 bathroom groups on a wet vent. A single bathroom group is defined as a toilet, lav, a tub or shower and a Bidet and an emergency floor
drain.

What you need to do is tie in your new bath tub downstream of your 3 inch vent. The max distance you can travel is 6 foot from the tie in to your tub trap using 1.5 inch pipe.

Saying that it all depends on your local code authority if they think it meets how they read your code.

Also do not use tee fittings on there side or on there back. You can use a y with a st 45 in the branch.

A sanitary tee for drainage is only allowed in a vertical up/down position. You can use a sanitary tee on its back for a vent only.

Also for giggles make sure that 3 inch vent is not picking up any drain and just existing the roof. If it does pick up a drain let me know.

Advertisement

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 08-29-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote